News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No.9 Dock  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
Re: No.9 Dock
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 18:47:58 »
These photos are great and they tell a story of terrific work in the Dockyard. My Dad, now long gone, told me many stories and these pictures remind me of some. Sad to hear today that Portsmouth will be going the same way as Chatham.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 16:13:50 »
Your very welcome!  :)

It's just a shame they've faded a little.

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 16:12:08 »
Very nice photos, thank you for posting them :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 16:09:21 »
Just acquired these three great photos showing No.9 Dock in use after the Royal Navy's departure. They're dated 1st - 7th December 1984. It's the Sultanate of Oman's navy vessel SNV Nasr Al Bahr. It looks like it`s an amphibious landing vessel. I believe it was built by Brooke Marine of Lowestoft. Not quite sure what it's doing in Chatham - possibly fitting out?

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 20:58:00 »
Excellent! Well done Bilgerat for solving that.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 20:18:29 »
Bromptonboy has it. Cruiser and Battleship catapults were rocket powered and the dolly on which the aircraft was mounted was intended to fall into the sea after it was fired. The ash dump was there to prevent the dolly bouncing all over the dockyard.

Steam catapults didn't come into service until after WW2 and they were fitted to aircraft carriers. By the time that steam catapults were being fitted to aircraft carriers, the Royal Navy had phased out aircraft on Cruisers and Battleships.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 10:09:30 »
A lot of the early cruiser catapults were based on a rotating catapult platform on which the plane rested. The catapult was rotated to line up with the launch rail and a cordite charge was fired to propel the aircraft forward. This is why I think the round shape on the plan could be a rotating catapult base.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 08:59:28 »
The catapult was probably steam-powered as they were on ship so possibly the dump was for the ash from its boiler?

cliveh

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 08:28:34 »
I wonder what the Ash Dump Pit was for?

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 15:20:04 »
That was my first thought bromptonboy. There's no similar facilities around any of the other docks that handled the smaller vessels

cliveh

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:49:44 »
No 9 Dock was known as the Cruiser Dock. Cruisers were fitted with catapults for aircraft launches. Is this a test facility for the catapults before they were fitted to the ships.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 21:15:26 »
Could well have been that JohnWalker.

I wonder if it was still there later on? Unfortunately 1955 is the latest Plan I have. There must be later ones but I've been unable to track them down on a search of the National Archives on-line catalogue.

cliveh

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 17:14:10 »
There's also a long rectangle named Ash Dump for Catapults.  It's in a 'V' area that is marked out like an Olympic hammer throw arena.

Would it have been a test system for launching mines or depth charges etc?

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 12:44:16 »
Cliveh, on your plan of the no 9 dock, to upper left is shown the legend catapult base, any ideas as to what this was?

Good question conan! It doesn't appear there in 1911 or 1927 so obviously a later addition. I can only think it was to test ship's aircraft catapults.

cliveh

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:32:47 »
  I worked on HMS Brighton in no 9 dock, a 2 year refit about 69/70. Went on sea trials with her, really amazing experience. It was in December and during the trials the skipper is obviously looking for the roughest sea for testing, and he found some, I loved it.
  The funniest thing about it was we were paid 1 a night for our bunk as we got aboard to sail, we then had to queue up at the pursers and hand over 10/- for food and bunk (being the navy this was 4 meals a day). Unfortunately the rum ration had finished by then so missed out on that.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines