News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bell Mast, Leviathan Way.  (Read 6388 times)

John38

Re: Bell Mast, Leviathan Way.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:52 »
I'd never associated 'Going like the clappers' with the RAF. Nor did I find many Public School boys as pilots! :)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:25 »
Is this the Bell that coined the phrase 'Going like the Clappers' due to it ringing faster the closer to clocking on time?

S4.

RAF slang according to this: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/like-the-clappers.html

cliveh

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 19:42:25 »
Is this the Bell that coined the phrase 'Going like the Clappers' due to it ringing faster the closer to clocking on time?

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

merc

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 15:03:00 »
Cheers Cliveh :) I remember first seeing the Bell Mast several years ago, when I visited the dockyard. I'm surprised it's not already on the forum...

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 14:48:57 »
The plaques set around the mast now:

cliveh

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 12:16:55 »
One showing it in it's original Dockyard setting:

cliveh

merc

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 20:53:00 »
Thanks Bilgerat :)

The Bell Mast was designated a 'Scheduled Ancient Monument' in 1969. It was removed from its original location south east of the Coppersmith's Shop in 1992, due to the building of the Medway Tunnel. It was restored and re-erected at its present location in 2001.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 20:39:19 »
And here is the Undaunted when the mast was still attached.... Unfortunately, this picture doesn't give an idea of the scale of the mast, although the mast would have been stepped into her keel, so half of it is hidden from view

"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 20:30:34 »
Well, I walked past it many times and didn't know that, thanks

John38

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 15:32:48 »
Amazing! Thanks for the info. One wonders how those supporting cables get on when they get wet and freeze.

merc

Bell Mast, Leviathan Way.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 15:00:52 »
The Bell Mast, at Leviathan Way, started out as a foremast for HMS Undaunted, a wooden screw warship. Launched in 1861, her 3 wooden masts were replaced in 1872 at Chatham Dockyard by new, wrought iron masts, made up of riveted metal plates. This, the foremast was 109ft tall. Ship building techniques soon outdated ships such as HMS Undaunted, and in 1882 she was decommissioned and sold to a ship breakers yard. The wrought iron foremast was used at Chatham Dockyard in 1898 when it was erected close to the former Pembroke Gate at the Dockyard with a metal cupola and bell fixed to the top of the mast, and an octagonal canopy at the base. Up to 1940 it was used as a muster bell to summon the workmen to the yard.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines