News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Dockyard 1951  (Read 10629 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Sheerness Dockyard 1951
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 08:55:09 »
I remember the figureheads from when we used to go into the yard to catch the the steamer across to Southend back in the 50s,or early 60s,they you used to slightly freak me out :).
  Would the steamer have been the Medway Queen?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2015, 17:33:58 »
Some of those pictures are a bit later, a Mini with a suffix number plate in one shot and an Alfetta (1970s) in another.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2015, 16:52:46 »
Link to a large number of photos and drawings of Sheerness Dockyard taken in the late 1950's.
http://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/archive-collections/englands-places/gallery/6430

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 15:00:18 »
Link to aerial photo of Sheerness Dockyard taken in 1951. To zoom in on the photo you will need to register, but its free. And well worth it :)
http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/eaw037832?search=sheerness&ref=4
There are 8 other photos of the dockyard on britainfromabove, taken between 1947 and 1951.

Minsterboy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 05:47:40 »
What you don't want to forget Sentinel, is that there are also numerous CCTV cameras around the dock, which can zoom in etc. with someone watching the monitors at all times. Its seven years since I retired, with all the Security as one of my responsibilities and I don't want to compromise any measures that are still in place now, but if you get caught they might take a dim view of things, I certainly would have been expected too.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 19:31:55 »
As ever I had to pick up some timber today in the Docks. Now the security guys are a little touchy about cameras and picture taking in general. However here are a few that I managed today. I am sorry for the lousy quality but I had to do them on the wing with my phone camera, a couple are even through the windscreen whilst on the move.

On the map this is marked as Boat House, alongside No 4 Dock.

Frame Bending Shop, across the end of both No's 4 & 5 docks.

Lay Apart Store/Lifting Appliance Store.

These are the remains of the coping stones around the end of Dock 1.

Again I am sorry for the quality. I will get some more next time I am there.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 18:23:28 »
Thank you Minsterboy. So they probably had the same type of locos as Chatham Dockyard, small 0-4-0 saddle tanks. I'm not suprised seeing the curves. Seeing the map shews a two road shed I would imagine they had a couple so could afford to rent one to the Southern for a short period of time.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Minsterboy

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:33:28 »
Sentinel,

In a book that I have, called "Branch Lines Around Sheerness" by Vic Mitchell and Keth Smith, there is a map of Sheerness Docks which shows the layout of the railway lines throughout the Sheerness Dockyard.
According to the book the dock's line was connected to the main line in 1902 although there had been standard guage track in the yard since about 1870. A 2-4-0T arrived in 1872, one of two sold by the Somerset & Dorset Railway at the time.
There is also a photo of what looks like the old Sheerness railway station with three locos joined together. It shows Class B2 no.653 which was the only loco left on Sheppey when the bridge was damaged on Sunday 17th December 1922 and in consequence local locos were hired. Settle Speakman provided their Peckett 0-6-0ST Emerald Isle to work to Leysdown and Sheerness Dockyard offered a Hawthorn 0-4-0ST which was used to maintain a service between Queenborough and Queenborough Pier, where there was a steamer service.
All three locos are in the photo.

John38

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:48:27 »
Thank you for that, S4. It's now 54/55 years since I was in the dockyard. In my minds-eye it hasn't changed since then, so your update is important to me (as is the whole thread).

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 09:18:51 »
In the docks yesterday, as normal. I had a good look about, as normal, and have realised that the ends of the three docks off of the Great Basin are still to be seen. They were infilled to the quay height and then tarred over. However if you know what you are looking at they are there in plain sight, number 3 can be seen in the image Grandarog has posted. The dock pumping station still stands, it still has some pipe work attached. I tend to forget that the whole area has changed, Sheerness Pier in Rats bay has long gone but Rats bay is now more or less central in the complex. I park on the old Rats bay quay to be loaded and often have a mooch around and have realised that the Shipwrights Machine Shop is still there. Docks 4 & 5 are still there, they flood on the tide, as are the following buildings at this end; Frame Bending Shop, Lay Apart Store/Lifting Appliance Store and the Boat House. Archway Block and the Main Offices still stand as does the Saw Mill, Dockyard School and part of the Garage.

Not much really seeing as what used to be there. However this is a very busy port and seems to be thriving, if not actually gaining strength. Last Monday the area that has the exchange sidings, outside the Main Offices was full of timber. Yesterday it was all gone by the middle of next week it will be full again. There is also a constant stream of car transporters through the docks as well as pulp and paper reel lorries. 

Now I can see that there was quite an extensive rail network in the docks, some is still to be found. Does anyone have any idea of the locos that worked it? Are there any pictures of the assumed locos, steam or diesel? Were there crane locos similar to Chatham dockyard?

S4.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 14:06:29 »
I don`t know how to overlay but the battery corner where the metal crusher was certainly looks different now.

John38

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 13:18:57 »
I just noticed the Tool Box store between #2 & #3 dock. We all left our tool boxes in there when we were 'afloat'. I never heard of anyone having tools stolen from the boxes, and we seldom locked them.

John38

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 13:14:43 »
I see that the Mast House is now ths Shipwrights Machine Shop (Plate Shop)  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Sheerness Dockyard 1951
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 13:18:27 »

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines