News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Dreamland, Margate  (Read 50113 times)

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Re: Re: Dreamland, Margate
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2011, 23:57:08 »
Don't forget the Sphynx - pitch black corridors and rooms inside - excellent courting venue.......

And the blast of compressed air that blew the girls skirts up as they ducked through the low doorway on the front of the Sphynx - always a crowd puller that one.

Happy days ....

srpiccallilli

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2011, 21:15:27 »
Reading through this thread has been a jolt back to the past - brought back so many memories. Whoever mentioned the Bali-Hai, do you remember what it what called before then? Nobody has mentioned the Rendez-vous Club on Sunday evenings at the ballroom. That was a must.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2011, 09:15:37 »
Hi anyone remember, the Flea Circus at Dreamland ? I used to live in Birchington in the late 50's and 60's. I was at Spurgeons Homes, a childrens home and used to come to Dreamland once a month on Sunday, i loved the flea circus, nobody believes it existed !
Welcome, joshua92, I`m sure that you`ll be able to tell us about life at Spurgeon`s. Although the Birchington Home was inter-denominational, I`m sure the founder, Charles Spurgeon, a Strict (Particular) Baptist Minister would surely have frowned upon visits to Dreamland on Sundays. How did you manage it? Baptists were very strict in the 50s and 60s. I know of at least two `deacons` of the Baptist Church of the 50s who would have shaken their heads and muttering "sinful".

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 18:51:58 »
Oh yes, I remember it    :) it was down on the right hand side as you went through the 'tunnel' seafront end, or was when I lived in Broadstairs
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

joshua92

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 17:20:52 »
Hi anyone remember, the Flea Circus at Dreamland ? I used to live in Birchington in the late 50's and 60's. I was at Spurgeons Homes, a childrens home and used to come to Dreamland once a month on Sunday, i loved the flea circus, nobody believes it existed !

AnDy

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2011, 14:22:15 »
http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2538

A short clip of the 'Fun Palace' Margate, Kent.

'Psychedelic Fun Palace at Margate's Dreamland funfair. This is the creation of Keith Albarn (Damon's father we believe) and is really funky.'

Offline Ajemp

• Appreciation 15
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2011, 12:47:48 »
 Dreamland
   My memories  are fish n' chips, candy floss, ice cream, lots  of rides, and a little man who would guess your weight , if he got it right  within  a  few pounds he kept your money , but if he was wrong he paid you ! he would "feel" a mans body but, when a lady was checked it was "no touching" , needless to say  he made a good living
                                    ajemp.........

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 22:42:59 »
The Abbey ruins ( if that's what you mean ) WAS just a folly built by George Sanger. The  animal cages also built in Sangers time were uncovered around 1975 when a 'new' zoo went there, and were Grade two listed in 2009 as they are the only ones left of their kind now.
There's the Sanger graves in Margate cemetery, the large memorial with the Mazeppa circus horse on top, was actually for John Sanger ( Georges brother )

A pic of the horses head

Offline seb

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2010, 15:41:13 »
Thanks for the memories  :)
The thing I remember most is the smell.   You walked down the sloping entrance and the smell of the miniture train was hanging in the air.   I had to do the laughing sailor first.  The after that every ride was equal.   Terrific place for children, then the teenage years and courting and something of the wrinklies as well.
I was young when I went to see the new release of Alice in Wonderland at the cinema.
As a Londoner my time was between Dreamland Margate and the Kersal at Southend.   I preferred Dreamland.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2010, 21:33:08 »
I have four stereo cassette recordings of Dreamland organ recitals I made back in the Medway Theatre Organ Trust days. Two featured David Ivory, one with John Mann and the other with William Davis.

Derek Brice
Derek Brice

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 16:36:09 »
Bryn, I'm a keen (but not too skilled) amateur home organist. About 20 years ago I, and a work colleague (who was also a keen home organist), were sent on a training course at Rank Hilger, then at Westwood, Margate. The course finished early on the Friday so I took my colleague to Dreamland to show him the organ. It was magic to see his beaming face as he took to the console for a few minutes.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 17:55:35 »
Thanks for the information Barrowboy. It`s great to hear that the organ is intact. I had no idea that it was that big, 4 manuals,19 ranks - I`d love to have a `toot` on it!

Offline Barrowboy

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 17:02:18 »
Bryn (and other interested forum followers) I think I can update you on the Dreamland organ. The original Noterman organ was installed in the Hall by the Sea. When the Illes family decided to build the new cinema complex in 1934 the John Compton organ company was asked to build a new organ but to accommodate the Noterman ranks with new Compton ranks - and a mechanical solo cello. In the early 1970's the Medway Theatre Organ Trust (of which I was a member) managed to get the organ in playable condition and regular concerts were held. One particular organist, William Davis, always included several classical items on his programme. For these quieter pieces the Noterman pipework was skillfully used. After many years the Margate Theatre Organ Trust took over and continued holding regular concerts until approx 2000. The pipework is housed in roof chambers (I remember well the iron ladder that had to be climbed to reach them). I understand that all is intact. The 4 manual console, which controlled the 19 ranks, is still in situ under the stage but is showing signs of meldew due to the surrounding damp stagnant air. The initial phase of the Dreamland renovation includes some preservation of the organ.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 14:20:56 »
Dreamland also had a cinema which housed a Noterman cinema organ. If the cinema is still there, does anyone know if the organ is still in-situ?. So many of these fine instruments have been scrapped or broken up, but many have been `saved` by enthusiasts. I remember hearing this organ on the BBC many years ago.

cheryl

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 17:17:19 »
Came to Margate in 1970 and Dreamland was fantastic. The Caterpillar, River Caves, Sphinx, Helter Skelter, Scenic Railway, Dodgems, Big Wheel, Wurlitzer etc. I can remember it all well. They used to hold a market in the car park area and on firework night we would often sit on the stairs to watch. My Saturday and holiday job was working in a bed and breakfast and also flatlets owned by Mrs King. Her buildings directly overlooked Dreamland which also made for great viewing on firework night. Margate used to get so busy at holiday times that there was no room to walk on the pavement and I often had to walk in the roadway. Dreamland, Sundeck, Pier ......
...Happy times  :)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines