News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Dreamland, Margate  (Read 68975 times)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
Re: Re: Dreamland, Margate
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 21:35:31 »
Our friend lent me these photos of his taken in Dreamland. The B & W ones are he thinks from the 1960s, not shure of the decade of the colour photo.

I've zoomed in on this one, this looks like maybe a fire hose reel.

Dreamland's boatilng lake.

>I've zoomed in on the photo to show you this, the boats worked like the Dogem cars, a pole picking up electricity and making the boats work.

I some how do not think it would be have that today.

Offline Megapack162

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 12:14:12 »
My favourite ride at Dreamland (before it became BenBon brothers) was the Rotor, you queued up inside a drum shaped wooden building and all you could hear was a sound that was very close to that of a steam engine accelerating out of a station.

Eventually you reached a viewing gallery where you saw the source of the noise below you, a rotating drum with a curved access door. The drum spun faster and faster and then the floor fell away beneath you, leaving you stuck to the wall like a fly stuck in wet paint. People used to turn upside down or even sideways so that they appeared to be flying like superman.

I was pretty nervous the first couple of times I visited and by the time I'd got braver, BenBons had bought Dreamland, closed some of the older rides and replaced them with modern thrills like the Looping Star, Mary Rose and Viking Ship.

My nearly 9 year old would have loved the Rotor, he thinks rides like the Meteor (similar but a cage that spins and then tips up to almost 80 degrees) and other inversion rides are excellent - he has no fear at all.

Chezzz

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 14:23:49 »
Ahhh Dreamland one of my favourite day trip destinations of my childhood. We always had the same regime, beach first (which always seemed to last for hours) then on to dreamland :). My earliest memory is probably that of the catapillar, a strange ride which half way round a cover would come over the top of you and i think was suppose to be a bit scary, although in my day the cover was a bit moth eaten and used to let rays of sunlight through lol. I used to love the tubs aswell a ride which involved ppl climbing precariously into a small round tub on water which would then flow around inside a building showing off a sort of light n puppet show
thing , very weird but pretty, probably more of a girly ride that 1 lol. Another was the good old sphinx, an inside dark maze on 2 floors.

Ive read a few ppl enquiring about the zoo which although was gone by my days there were still the remains of some cages in the walls off to the right as you entered the park, i believe it was a garden too at some point. i do have a picture of the cages ill have to dig out at some point. In the mean time heres a few pics i found in my albums.

Love those postcard pics btw colin they really do take me back :)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 20:23:45 »
Three of my postcards to remind you of some of the rides.

I have another one with the Zeppilens on it.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 13:45:04 »
The Abbey ruins ( if that's what you mean ) WAS just a folly built by George Sanger. The  animal cages also built in Sangers time were uncovered around 1975 when a 'new' zoo went there, and were Grade two listed in 2009 as they are the only ones left of their kind now. If you can get hold of the book Dreamland Remembered ( ISBN 978-0-9545252-3-1 ) it's well worth it, it's the 90th anniversary book, which tells everything from start to finish. Great pics including the folly and the zoo and from when it started as The Hall By The Sea in 1876 right up to the sad Scenic Railway fire.
In another thread on here ? there's a pic of the Sanger graves in Margate cemetery, the large memorial with the Mazeppa circus horse on top, was actually for John Sanger ( Georges brother )
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2010, 23:03:45 »
Whats the ruin in the old pics? or is it a folly?

Think I have just answered my own question with one of the pics on this local news article from 2008

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/news/Zoo-knows/article-300238-detail/article.html

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:44 »
Two airship hangars played an important part of Dreamlands history. Measuring 200ft long, they had originally been ordered by the US Coastguard Srevice during WW1 , but with the end of hostilities in 1918 they had become surplus to requirements. After some negotiation they arrived in Margate in kit form for assembly. One housed an arcade of an increasing number of stalls and sideshows (the one that burned down in 1930)  the other one provided the shell of what  became the Garden Cafe.
This was capable of seating 1,200 people, easily the largest of 7 and later 8 restaurants round the park.
Mass catering was an important part of Dreamlands business for more than 30 years,all told the restaurants could seat 3,500 people, They  had their own bakery  producing 2,500 fancy cakes and 2,000 loaves a day during the high season, and the Ice Cream plant turned out 80 gallons a day.

Hot lunches started at 3/6d (18p) a head and included soup, with a choice of roast beef and yorkshire pudding or roast mutton with vegetables, dessert choices were fruit tart and custard sauce or jelly. In 1931 this could be washed down with a bottle of White wine from 4/6d (23p) or a bottle of beer, Guinness, pale ale or milk stout, at sevenpence halfpenny (4p) A bottle of Champagne was priced at 18 shillings (90p)

A party of 741 people from a brewery in Southwark, SE London, were among the many satisfied customers. The grateful secretary wrote "I enclose the Company's cheque for 276-1s and 4d in settlement of your account for meals supplied, the men (where were the women?) thoroughly enjoyed their outing"

Those were the days !
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline doug

• Appreciation 16
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 23:23:53 »
The set of pictures from Colin, picture 16 shows a row of cars in the car park, the blue clad building  behind the cars, was at one stage the Garden cafe in the summer and the roller skateing ring in the winter. This building was an aircraft hangar, from the first  world war. Some reports say from the RNAS station at Westgate this is incorrect, the Westgate building was just infront of this building and to the right, and part of the works and bricks dept at Dreamland.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 22:20:48 »
Dreamland Rides.

Of course The Scenic Railway.    1920 until 2008 ( under resurrection ? )
The Caterpillar 1922 , the longest surviving ride after the Scenic , until the late 80s.
The River Caves 1924 until demolition in 1984.
The Whip, 1920.
The Galloping Horses 1946 until 2003.
Skywheel, 1953 until 1977.
The Rock and Roll house , 1958. or the house of fun as it's been called.

More perhaps as I go through the book about them.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 20:56:30 »
I only ever went there once, sometime in the early eighties. The Looping Star had just opened and I went on it six times in a row. The caterpillar was better.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 17:54:44 »
That was great seeing Dreamland then, I loved the Caterpillar. I have a really good book about Dreamland, which is the 90th Anni edition, published last Oct, it has everything in it, right from when it opened as  The Hall by the Sea, in 1867 , up to the bitter end. The pics bring back all the memories you could want, for me from the 1950s until my last visit there about 1989. Hubby cracked his ribs on the 1st day of our holiday on the Looping Star, so we didn't go back again. The book is called Dreamland Remembered , written by Nick Evans.
Bygone Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9545252-3-1. Well worth getting if you can, it was one of my best christma
s pressies.

Offline stewyrey

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 14:20:31 »
Found this 1920s/30s film, intresting rides, no pirate ship though.
Iv'e some fond memeries of my visits in the 80s, sadly no pics, as
is the rest of my life in kent.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=49820

Stewyrey.

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 29
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 23:41:30 »
Interesting - will see what my mother makes of these as she used to work in the bar there.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 21
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 22:35:32 »
Whilst walking around Margate today I came across this, on the side wall of dreamland, at first I walked right past it.

The writing on here must be quite old, put on here before the tower block or car park was built.   Perhaps the writing was clearer in the times on the old photos.

Great Ballroom it says.

You can make out the word cinema on here.

On this last one, the large letters spell Dreamland.

Offline rdfb2

• Appreciation -1
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 15:13:53 »
SOME DAYS YOUR THE DOG ,SOME YOUR THE LAMP POST

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines