News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Re: Dreamland, Margate  (Read 48795 times)

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
Re: Re: Dreamland, Margate
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:03:17 »
 I was very fortunate living in Ramsgate then Broadstairs from late 1940s to 1961, and went to Dreamland at any opportunity, my brother-in-laws ( they were much older than me ) Dad was chief electrician there during that time so I got a lot of freebies, the old pic of it taken in the 50s is just how I remember it , sometimes I was the only person there apart from the workers and had rides on the Scenic railway with just the driver, and when the Midget Family were one of the attractions  used to go and play with the children, sad day when it all changed, even used to take our kids there in the 70s and 80s until Benboms took it over and it went downhill,
hubby cracked his ribs on the Looping Star ( or whatever it was called !!) cos we wouldn't go on with him LOL, the poster of the Magic Garden was great too it was marvellous seeing that in the evenings with all the lights on, oh and Ramsgate with all the lights there too.
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 43
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:29 »
Now, my memory is a bit hazy, but I'm sure I remember a thread on a now deceased exploring forum that concerned another statue of a horse. I'm sure it was something to do with Sanger, and it concerned the statue being moved to the basement of what is now Argos in Ramsgate. Anybody care to comment?
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

birchingtonboy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:15:34 »
Good morning evryone  the origin of Dreamland was Lord gerge Sangers Palace of varities bt the sea some time in the late nineteenth or early twentieth century."Lord George Sanger"came from a circus family and the lord bit was added as an after thought .Sadly he was murdered by his manservant who claimed the devil made him do it and the poor man ended his days in an assylum.George sanger is buried in Margate cemetary under a life size marble statue of a horse .   

Offline Riding With The Angels

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 36
    • Ghost Connections
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 22:55:13 »
Hello everyone this is my first post so here goes,growing up in Birchington in the fifties and sixties I have happy memories of Dreamland.Apart from the theme park there the cinema and the ballroom,the cinema was where you went to see the latest blockbuster ,going in before the film was finished and sitting there waiting for it to start again.The ballroom famous forits saturday "dance" never went could not dance, how many future partners met there I wonder ?.And the amusement park itself ,fireworks every thursday during the season ,the roller skating rink the mniature railway that ran around the back through the gardens and finally seeing the same faces who had the concessions ,running the side stalls .I particularly remember one lady from the fishing duck stall, she was still doing it when I used to take my daughter there. Benbohms put a stop to all that and ruined it.

My mother worked in the bar at the ballroom and met my dad there.

birchingtonboy

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 21:07:15 »
Hello everyone this is my first post so here goes,growing up in Birchington in the fifties and sixties I have happy memories of Dreamland.Apart from the theme park there the cinema and the ballroom,the cinema was where you went to see the latest blockbuster ,going in before the film was finished and sitting there waiting for it to start again.The ballroom famous forits saturday "dance" never went could not dance, how many future partners met there I wonder ?.And the amusement park itself ,fireworks every thursday during the season ,the roller skating rink the mniature railway that ran around the back through the gardens and finally seeing the same faces who had the concessions ,running the side stalls .I particularly remember one lady from the fishing duck stall, she was still doing it when I used to take my daughter there. Benbohms put a stop to all that and ruined it.

Jayzi.

Re: Dreamland, Margate
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:25:18 »
Hi gang.

A you-tube link to the 'only fools and horses' episode where the cast visit Margate beach and dreamland/bemboms?

A great soundtrack to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOgCJqMoPNE

Jayzi.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines