News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Twydall Redoubts....Grange and Woodlands  (Read 18772 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
Re: The Twydall Redoubts....Grange and Woodlands
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2017, 20:22:27 »
Plans restored!

merc

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 17:25:25 »
I'm not sure which redoubt it was, but the one in Featherby Road, behind Mill Farm, was advertised as a public air-raid shelter in a 1939 'Chatham News' public notice.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 15:44:24 »
The Redoubts from the air in 1946;

cliveh

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 15:30:04 »
The "Fridays" were a large family from Lower Gillingham and yes, Fernley Friday is related to them, his sister Pamela (Punyer) also owned some land at Lower Rainham Road near Sharps Green.

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 13:04:13 »
Whilst looking at a 1914 OS map of this area today noticed it has marked these redoubts but they are not mentioned on my later map (post M2 Motorway).

Incidentally, I have spent a lot of time this last week on looking at 1841-1911 census for the area around (East Court, Mill Hill, etc.) and noticed a lot of 'Friday's mentioned. I wonder if they are related to the present owner although I do not remember any during the war years.

drunkenbaker

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2012, 00:54:45 »
I met up with the co owner of both sites today,Mr Friday, he was not happy about people entering his private property.
Just to clarify no-one has suggested entering the private property. I'm assuming Featherby Road is now a footpath below the railway line.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2012, 23:21:28 »
I met up with the co owner of both sites today, Mr Friday, he was not happy about people entering his private property.

drunkenbaker

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2012, 22:53:14 »
All along Featherby Road where the fencing seperates the road from Woodlands Redoubt is lined with corrugated sheeting.
Very interesting. I've not explored that area on foot. Maybe I should. I'm often free if you want someone to accompany you on recces.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 20:57:31 »
All along Featherby Road where the fencing seperates the road from Woodlands Redoubt is lined with corrugated sheeting.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 20:04:39 »
Neither of them are officially listed, whcih is why an emergency listing application has been made for both sites.  With two seperate owners it would be difficult to carry out what you have proposed, but time will tell whether it is a viable option for the future.  The first step is to ensure these are protected straight away, and then a longer management plan can be looked at if needed.

drunkenbaker

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 20:00:22 »
My understanding is that the Grange one (nearest the river) is already listed. Or maybe it is simply 'listed' on an English Heritage website?

I also understand that the Grange one has almost intact earthworks, but not buildings, whereas the opposite is true of Woodlands. If this is correct, would it not be possible to look into getting the buildings moved from Woodlands to Grange as part of the scheme to build the new football stadium. I guess this is quite a radical suggestion, but it might be one which allows one of the redoubts to survive in a way that allows it to be better understood in the environment.

I don't expect the football stadium to be built here, but the land is likely to be subject to planning applications, being former industrial land, in the future.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 19:39:30 »
Wednesday 2nd February 1927

The War Department has directed Messrs. Weatherall and Green (Chancery Lane) to dispose of 85 acres of freehold land in Gillingham.  The property overlooks the Medway and extends from Twydall redoubts adjoining the Southern Railway, right down to the river.  Reminiscent of beating “their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning-hooks” the redoubts are recommended by the War Office as being suitable for agricultural storage purposes.  There are galleries some hundreds of feet long, divided into casemates having double doors, and affording many concreted enclosures averaging 22ft. by 8ft. by 9ft. high.  They were originally designed for the dual purpose of defending the railway and river.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 22:30:06 »
Does anyone know for definte what these two redoubts were used for during WWI and WWII?  And if so their sources.  An emergency listing application is being put together and will be entered in the next few days.

gavinparson

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 18:23:53 »
I managed to get close to the Woodlands redoubt today and took a couple of photos.

There was a chap there who was a keyholder to the site, I don't know if he was the owner or not, but he was totally unaware of Gillingham Football Club's plan to build a new stadium on the site.

Offline Peterj

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 22:50:15 »
I visited both sites in 80's and 90's on a regular basis in connection with my insurance occupation. The one nearest the railway line in Featherby lane was more or less intact and used as stables. During WW2 and for a while after it was used for searchlights, some remains were still visible. The one nearest the river with an entrance on Grange Road hill was/is owned by Fernley Friday (parafin and calor gas supplier) and all that was left were earthworks. I think I am right in saying that these were the first fortifications to be built using pre cast concrete.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines