News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Twydall Redoubts....Grange and Woodlands  (Read 18763 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: The Twydall Redoubts....Grange and Woodlands
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 18:34:01 »
This is a quote from page 106 of 'Gillingham Chronicles' by R A Baldwin.

".....there were two underground forts built in the 1870's, one north of the railway to the east of Featherby Rd, called Woodlands and on the east corner of Featherby Rd and Lower Rainham Rd - called Grange and later Twydall. They were both used in WW1 & WW2 as stores (for?) anti aircraft batteries or Civil Defence......."

I wanted to ask what happened to them. I presume they cant be seen from the roads. I have no recollection of seeing the 'Twydall' one. Was often going passed that area either by bus or walking during the War.

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
    • Victorian Forts and Artillery
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 21:44:33 »
The only one I can see on Google Earth is the one just east of the A289 Yokosuka Way and just north of the railway. Could someone please tell me where to find the other two.
Thanks
Derek
Derek Brice

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is com

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 14:43:37 »
 :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:02:50 »
Some plans stamped 27.4.38, some are dated 12th November 1889

From file WO 78/4156 at the National Archives

Davids Mate

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 14:45:22 »
Basically I don't know except that, as I'm sure you are aware , during WWI a number of stop lines were constructed as a precaution against a German invasion and march on London. The inner stop line was based on the London Defence Positions with some modifications. South of the Thames it started at Reigate but when it got to Knochholt, instead of running up the Darenth Valley, it was continued via Wrotham to Halling to link to the Chatham defences. This would suggest that the Chatham ring, and by inference the Twydalls, was pressed in to service at this time.

Chatham_Girl85

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 14:26:18 »
doesn't answer your question merc but i found this

http://pastscape.english-heritage.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=416066

merc

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 14:01:42 »
Any idea when the Redoubts were abandoned by the MOD ?

Also i can find no evidence of them being used during either of the wars...

Offline david

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:17:38 »
These Isos were made  by the late Roger Gill for his book, written with Alec Beanse, on The London Mobilisation Centres, which I published in June 2000.

Edit: Moved pictures from Imageview to Photobucket

merc

The Twydall Redoubts....Grange and Woodlands
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 22:41:00 »
Grange Redoubt was built in 1885 and Woodlands Redoubt in 1888. Both were built in lower Gillingham to defend Chatham Dockyard from a landward attack via the Gillingham side. They were not included in the original proposals of the 1860 Royal Commision but were later additions.

The Redoubts are similar in design to each other and were built as experimental semi-permanent field fortifications, which, in the event of an attack would be supported by batteries from the rear. The design of the Redoubts was a D shape, with shelter provided by concrete casemates reinforced with rail track and earthed over. The ditch in front of the parapet dropped away at a steady angle of 1 in 6 that sloped down till it reached about 10 feet below ground height. At the bottom was a steel unclimable palisade. Barbed wire, felled trees and mines could also have been used as obstacles. On the Counterscarp side of the ditch was a 10 feet sheer wall up to ground level This type of revetment became known as "The Twydall Profile" and was used for a number of years at defensive sites in Britain and overseas. The idea of this design was so that the Redoubt blended into the surrounding countryside.

The Redoubts were built by contractors under controlled conditions to a fixed price contract and to be completed by 30 days to simulate war and invasion conditions, using only locally available materials and manpower. No machinery would be used either in construction. When finished the Redoubts would have a garrison of about 200 men who would be billeted in a camp well to the rear and only man the Redoubt in time of invasion. Woodlands Redoubt had a length of 220 feet from ditch edge to ditch edge, and 110 feet wide at the cetral point.

Today the Woodlands Redoubt has still got it's Casemates, entrance and earthworks to the rear, but the front earthworks have gone. The site has been used as a cold store and later as a factory unit. Grange Redoubt has no Casemates left but the front earthworks are nearly complete and even some sections of the Palisade remain.

Both sites are on private land and used as stables with no public access possible. The future of the sites is uncertain and even open to re-development or demolition.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines