News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sheerness Dockyard Locomotives.  (Read 5929 times)

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
Re: Sheerness Dockyard Locomotives.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 08:53:12 »
Sorry to all, I have clearly put this in the wrong directory.

Offline CAT

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 08:28:13 »
Whilst working over at Eastchurch Church recently I came across this. Laid inscribed face down and reused as part of the churchyard path is the remains of the end slab of a table top monument that once was in the churchyard with the dedication

'IN
                                                                                             MEMORY OF
                                                                                     Mr JOSEPH BASSAN
                                                                                      LATE SURGEON OF
                                                                                  SHEERNESS GARRISON
                                                                              WHO DIED THE 16th OF OCTr
                                                                                     1838 AGED 64 YEARS'

Thought it might be of interest to someone?

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 18:02:58 »
Another snippet of info; The Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST 2200/45 went to Cairnryan in 1960. The port there having been bought by in 1959 by a firm of shipbreakers, - Pounds [Shipowners and Shipbreakers] Ltd of Portsmouth.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 22:10:51 »
An interesting thing about the LBSCR Terrier: Every one of the Big Four ended up with at least one of them at Grouping. They just got everywhere (Col Stephens was responsible for a few migrating).............

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 21:29:51 »
'Little Tich', A Stroudley Terrier 0-6-0, worked both the Sheppey Light Railway and Sheerness Dockyard.
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16879.0
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline borstalboy

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 13:21:43 »
I'm working on a model of Sheerness Dockyard railway station as it was in 1904, including the Naval Tramway that entered the dockyard from the south, and models of the locos that would have worked it. I was aware of a Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST being used, but the 'HC' - presumably a Hudswell Clark - is a new one on me. As this is one of my favourite industrial types, and I have a kit for one, this is good news. Does anyone know anything about the colours they were painted?

John38

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 20:25:44 »
I remember 'them' well!

Offline Tom Burnham

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 19:40:31 »
The ex-Somerset & Dorset Railway engine has always intrigued me, as the Dockyard didn't get the siding connecting it with the main line until about 1904 - when the two Hawthorn Leslie locos listed by DS239 were acquired.  However, I have come across very sparse references to tramways or railways for internal use only, presumably for moving heavy items around.  Any confirmation or further details would be more than welcome.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 18:28:20 »
Thank you DS239. That was quite a fleet of locos for a fairly small area.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline DS239

• Appreciation 11
  • "Oh, sod it; the bloody thing’s stuck again"
Sheerness Dockyard Locomotives.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:56 »
Following an enquiry by Sentinel S4 and a reply by Minsterboy in another thread, I thought that I'd start a new one to avoid the information being lost in the midst of the other thread.

This is taken from Pocket Book C, 'Industrial Locomotives of South-Eastern England' published by the Birmingham Locomotive Club Industrial Locomotive Section* in 1958.

Identity:         Wheel Arr:       Cyls:     Maker:       Works No.:      Notes:

1001               0-4-0CT           OC        HL              2593/04          New, scrapped circa 1945.
1005               0-4-0ST           OC        HL              2596/04          New, scrapped circa 1948.
--                    0-6-0ST           IC         HC               767/07          Ex J.D.Nowell & Sons, contractors, went to Anglo-Scottish Beet   
                                                                                                 Sugar Corporation Ltd., Colwick,Notts in 1925.
 528                0-4-0D                         HE             2076/40          New.
--                   0-4-0ST           OC         AB             2200/45          New.

So, that was the situation in 1958, they don't mention the ex- Somerset and Dorset Railway 2-4-0T which, with reference to O.S.Nock writing about the S&D, was:

No.11, a George England and Co. 2-4-0 tank, bought in 1863 for the Wells branch and generally known as Bluebottle, which was sold to the Admiralty in 1870 for use at Sheerness Dockyard.

*Later to become the Industrial Railway Society.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines