News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upnor seafront  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Upnor seafront
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 18:48:17 »
The loco used on the line was Albion Works (Albert Barnes) No 102 named Michael. Completed in 1921 and worked here until 1924. Transferred to the Saracens Head Miniature Railway, near Lymme (Cheshire) and re-named George V Jnr. 1928 transferred to Belle Vue Zoo Manchester with another re-name to Railway Queen. In 1994 the loco ended up at Llanfair PG on static display alongside the Rhyl Miniature Railways' Michael (talk about a small World). 2007 she was returned to Rhyl and is undergoing full restoration to working condition. She is distinguished from the other five Barnes Albion class Atlantic's by having individual splashers (mud guards) over the wheels, the others including Billie from Dreamland all have a single splasher.

The line at Upnor was called the Woodland Park Miniature Railway. It ran for about 1/4 on a mile through woodland. The main problem was that the track was flat bottom rail spiked to sleepers on soft ground. This caused the line to sink in places which eventually lead to closure. I have no details of coaching stock, buildings or track plans. If anyone has details I would really like to know more about this line.

All six of the locos still exist in differing states of repair but several are still in use with two at Rhyl (Michael/Railway Queen will be the third), one there on static display, one privately owned in Oxfordshire and poor old Billie rusting away at Preston (near Wingham) in deepest darkest Kent.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 13:34:18 »
A bit of research points to the cement works being at the seaward end of the village where the boat yard -Upnor road  Albion Place- is on the map
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

3pinplug

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 08:50:42 »
Wow what a brilliant postcard, captures everything i was looking at. Anyone any idea where all this took place roughly as looking on google maps cant see anywhere where it could have been, no sign of any tracks etc.

Thanks again

Mark

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 19:49:16 »
That railway interests me. That is an interesting loco, looks like a Barnes Atlantic similar to Billy that was at Dreamland.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 19:38:35 »
There's mention here of a miniature being built in 1920 at the old cement works, it's in the section on Upnor leisure

http://www.timeandtides.org.uk/a-brief-history.html

and there's a photo here [it's zoomable]

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,210989626,var,Upnor-Multi-view-miniature-railway--glide-beach,language,E.html
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 17:43:56 »
3pinplug :)

Have a look (if you haven't already) at the topics "Isle of Grain Railways" and "Chattenden Railway". Might help with you identification of where the railway was.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 17:19:49 »
Hi
My memories of Upnor go back to circa 1946. I can recall a tea garden next to the pub, but for the life of me can't remember a miniature railway. Unless, of course, you mean the Lodge Hill/Upnor RNAD line ?
My last trip to Upnor was some time in the late sixties, so the railway may be after then. Hope this helps.

3pinplug

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 16:09:52 »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link unfortunately it didn't recognise Upnor.

Mark

Offline Paul

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
  • Batpigs'n'Boobies.. ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 15:53:12 »
K-lis may help? :)
Do not open in "Full Screen"  :)
It will only work in a small screen..... 
http://www.kent.gov.uk/klis/home.htm
Maybe it's big horse I'm a Londoner. :{

3pinplug

Upnor seafront
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 15:38:41 »
Hi all,

There used to be an old tearoom from the early 1900's and a miniature railway at Upnor, can anyone pinpoint on a map where they used to be. Plenty of pics about but can`t seem to marry them up with any landmarks.

happy xmas all.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines