News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Frederick Gould, The Spy at Rochester  (Read 6102 times)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
Re: Frederick Gould, The Spy at Rochester
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 00:12:43 »
I hope you don't mind but I've rotated your picture and reduced it to a more manageable size

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline jose leon gould

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 23:40:17 »
Frederick Gould was my great grandfather. My grandfather was Albert Gould. After the war he traveled to south America. There he met and married my grandmother, Olga Cereceda, Chilean.

Ted pittman

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 22:30:28 »
Thanks alkhamhills. Will investigate. Am hoping that my brother Tony will join the site as he has one or two lines of enquiry running.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 19:46:18 »
Believe this is him
31.7.1882 Adolphus Schroeder at The Old Bailey  with another acquitted and discharged of Larceny xxx house value 5
4 June 1888, at General Sessions Clerkenwell, Adolphus Frederick  Schroeder was acquitted of Fraud.

Ted pittman

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 16:24:40 »
There's a lot to tell with some of it quite interesting.  Maude Sloman 's father was a world famous bird imitator and Maude became the same thing. After Sloman lost his teeth in middle age he had a stall on Leeds market selling potions and soaps (Sloman soap is still known in that area apparently). It is mentioned that a certain Mr Marks, who also had a stall, asked him to join in with opening a proper shop but he declined so Mr Spencer did it instead.  Possibly not true but certainly correct in terms of the timing so who knows. Maude went on to entertain royalty all over the world with her bird impressions (remember there was no tv or radio so music hall was very big). One particular event was held at the Free Trade Hall Manchester in front of 5,000.  Many years later the Sex Pistols held their first gig there in front of a handful of bemused onlookers.  In 1924 May 19th the BBC claimed a live broadcast of cellist Beatrice Harrison broadcast from a garden in Oxted, Surrey with a nightingale joining in.  Our family has an anecdote that Maude Gould actually did the whistling as the bird was scared off by the equipment and personnel involved.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 09:49:39 »
Thanks alkhamhills.
 That makes a lot more sense than my shot. Would also explain why I didn`t find any trace of him before 1901 if he was Schroeder.   :) :)

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 09:45:28 »
Also Maud Rebecca Gould & Violet Frederica Gould Baptised with Harry & Joseph
Adolph Albert Schroeder baptised 16.4.1902. Wandsworth Parents Frederick & Maud Schroeder
Adelbert Charles Gould-Schroeder baptised 12.11.1902, Wandsworth. Parents Frederick & Maud Gould-Schroeder

These are the 6 children shown with parents on 1901 Census

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:23 »
Frederick Gould was also initially  Frederick Adolphus Schroeder

The 2 eldest sons Harry Sidney & Joseph Alexander baptised 12.9.1900 Wandsworth. Father Adolph Frederick Gould and mother Maud Rebecca Schroeder. Both boys were Schroeder when birth registered

Believe He married Rebecca Maud Sloman 1888 Wandsworth

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 06:30:12 »
Hi Ted pittman, Welcome to the Forum  :)

Maybe they decided to make it legal when the kids were off their hands and he was released from prison to be  deported.
(6 years less 2 for good behaviour = 1918)
Marriage .
Frederick A. GOULD -Maud J. BLACK   JAS Qtr. 1918 .  4A 1248  ORSETT Essex.

Only supposition but worth a punt.

Ted pittman

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 22:54:42 »
Hello - have joined the site today after seeing the mention of Frederick Gould.  He was my great grandfather and his "wife" (we are not sure of their status despite the many children) Maude Gould was my great grand mother. We only found out about the story after attending a funeral of an aunt in the 1980's.  He was caught by Mi5 and in particular thanks to the efforts of a Vernon Kell who was instrumental in starting the organization.  There's a lot we still don't know as all old relatives have passed on now.  Cheers. Ted pittman/Now resident Margate

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:13:20 »
On  1901 Census, he was a Mining Agent living on own account with family at 15 Guilph Street, Wandsworth. Can't find him or family prior to then. :)

merc

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 21:27:13 »
Thanks grandarog :)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 21:02:49 »
1911 Census
Here they are living at the Queen Charlotte, 159 High St, Rochester.

GOULD, Frederick Adolphus Head Married M 55 1856 Licensed Victualler London Marylebone
GOULD, Maud Wife Married23 years F 47 1864 Assisting In The Business London Hackney
GOULD, Maud Daughter Single F 16 1895 Assisting In The Business London Dalston
GOULD, Violet Daughter Single F 15 1896 Assisting In The Business London Dalston
GOULD, Frederick Son M 13 1898 School London Wandsworth
GOULD, Albert Son M 12 1899 School London Wandsworth
GOULD, Mildred Daughter F 9 1902 School London Wandsworth
BALFOUR, Kate Servant Married 13 years F 34 1877 Domestic Servant London Greenwich

merc

Frederick Gould, The Spy at Rochester
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 18:50:05 »
Naval Spy Case

The Times - Thursday, March 05, 1914

The charge of espionage which has been preferred against Frederick Adolphus Gould, and his wife, Maud Gould, was further investigated at Bow Street Police Court yesterday.

It was stated by Mr. Bodkin, who is conducting the prosecution, that from the documents seized, it was fairly clear that for a good many years the male defendant had acted as a spy in this country. A press copy letter-book, which was taken possession of by the police, showed that he had been in frequent communication with a Mr. Muller, a Mr. Petersen, and a Mr. Schmidt, who, it was suggested, were one and the same person at Potsdam, and Brussels, and that he had received money, for certain information. One of the copy letters, signed by Gould, purported to give "a brief outline of my past," From this it appeared that he was born in Germany. Educated partly in this country and partly in Germany, he fought in the French war of 1870, went to America, and then, after an interval in commercial life, joined the Secret Service, where, he wrote, he was well paid.

It was given in evidence that Gould was for five years the licensee of a public house in High Street, Rochester, which was frequented by naval and military people of all classes. Two portfolios of Ordnance Survey Maps, the press copy letter book, and other documents were found in the public house after Gould ceased his tenancy.

The Times - Saturday, April 04, 1914

At the Central Criminal court yesterday before Mr. Justice Atkin, Frederick Adolphus Gould, aged 55, a commission agent, pleaded "Guilty" to indictments under the Official Secrets Act charging him with having obtained and attempted to communicate certain plans and information calculated and intended to be useful to an enemy. He was sentanced to six years penal servitude, and to be deported. Maud Gould, aged 50, pleaded "Not Guilty." The prosecution against her was withdrawn and she was acquitted.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines