News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rats Bay pumping station  (Read 7068 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Rats Bay pumping station
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 17:04:08 »
Thank you for that. I remember two in place and a couple on the dockside wrapped in plastic. I was only 7 or 8 and should not have been 'exploring' but as I could not weld too well at that age I had a tendency to wander off. I do remember my Uncle saying that it was all for the Storm Drains but I was more interested in the machinery that was laying around.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 16:53:49 »
There are four Archimedean screws, but someone once told me that originally they could not use all four together because the underground culverts would not stand up to the water flow.
Derek Brice

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 09:47:38 »
Way back in the early 1970's when this was built my Father and an Uncle built our Paddle Steamer on the quay side here. My Uncle was working on the pumping station whilst it was being built. I have a vague memory that they used the old dock there as a sump and a pair of Archimedean screws to lift the water. I am sure that the building is across the river end, thereby sealing it, of the old dock.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 09:30:23 »
Hi Tony Young, The Riverside area of Chatham used to be marsh, into which there was a sewage out flow from the Brook Stream. Perhaps this encouraged a large population of rats. See the attached link
http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11553.msg112606#msg112606

Offline MedKev86

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 20:39:02 »
Unfortunately not got a photograph of it, however I recalls it working about two years ago when I was curious to find out what the noise was coming from the place. Apparently they're going to fix a large screen to the outer wall for all sorts of family fun!

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 08:34:35 »
Having never heard of Rats Bay in the Medway area my first reaction is - where does the name come from - problems with rodents or some old Kentish/English name that has been 'updated'??
Life's different upside down

King Chav

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:59:20 »
I remember doing a stint there in the early 80's as part of my Y. O. P. (Maggie's attempt to massage the unemployment figures) and it was being ran by a stern bloke by the name of Ted Blanford (?) I was then despatched to work with a bloke called Peter Bentley. It was our job to go around all the pumping stations in the area, scraping 'fat' off the walls in the underground areas. Stinky job!

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:31 »
Information supplied by Southern Water. (Many Thanks)
This site is a Surface Water pumping station and works on a reactive basis. Once the water level within the wells reach a certain point, it triggers the high level float on the Miltonic reader to give off a pulse which in turn sets the pumps working.

This pump does not work on a continuous basis, only when needed as it deals with no foul water. During the recent weather conditions this pump has assisted with the ground water levels, therefore assisting the foul sewers.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 10:33:09 »
Many thanks Man-of-Kent, I will try to get further information from Southern Water.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=17386.0

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 12:32:53 »
No specific times but it most certainly operates when heavy rain coincides with a high tide.
Derek Brice

Offline man-of-kent

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 18:45:49 »
I have spoken to a Southern Water person on Twitter and he confirmed that the Rats Bay pumping station IS operational within capacity.
Derek Brice

Offline 101sean

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 18:14:21 »
I don't ever recall it working when I was at the council. Was inside it once back in the 80s when they fired up the standby diesel generator, think it was a 600hp Blackstone, similar engine was fitted to some BR shunters.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 15:33:55 »
Hi GP, thanks for the reply. I believe the pumping station has been decommissioned. After many attempts to see it in operation, unsuccessfully led to the request for photos.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 14:23:11 »
The pumping station only operates when there is heavy rain, which would otherwise flood the Brook area. I guess it must have been operating recently, due to the heavy rainfall. I have seen it in use. It is only for storm water, not sewage.

Offline Troyboy

• Appreciation 10
Rats Bay pumping station
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:05 »
Hi to everyone! Has anybody any photos of the Rats Bay pumping station actually in action that they would be willing to share. Have tried to find if it was ever used, to no avail.
Regards Troyboy.

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=10275.15

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines