News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pee Cee's World  (Read 83870 times)

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
Re: Pee Cee's World
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2016, 20:40:48 »
Although I never knew Pee Cee, I followed his posts with interest.
It is always sad to lose a fellow forum member, so Rest in Peace, Peter.
Stuart...

Offline afsrochester

• Appreciation 40
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2016, 16:19:35 »
A wonderful and most knowledgeable man whose contribution to KHF will be sadly missed. We must have all gained something from Peter's contributions over the years; I know his knowledge has certainly helped me with my research. We are all the poorer for his loss. RIP Peter and Thank You.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #274 on: March 17, 2016, 12:23:31 »
Everyone has already spoken of the high esteem in which Peter was held on the Forum and how much he will be missed, and no words of mine could add anything to the sentiments already expressed.
I never had the pleasure of meeting Peter but we did exchange  some private messages  and he was always ready to pass on his knowledge to others.  He always shone through his posts as a 'true gentleman', and like Busyglen  I too  always read PCs posts even if they were about something I had no knowledge of (or dare I say interest in) as they were so well written, I would always learn from them.
My condolences to his family and farewell PC.

Offline jimawilliams

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #273 on: March 17, 2016, 00:27:08 »
Rest In Peace peterchall.
Thank you for your amazing contributions in recording your life’s experiences in Kent, your memories and explanations engaged me so much.  Sometimes we miss opportunities during the short privilege of our lives.  Below is an image which I intended to post the next time I had the opportunity to in “Guess the place”.  Taken in 2013 it is of “The Maltings” (near the Junction of the Lower Higham and Gravesend Road near Gravesend), a building that you taught in, which I attended as an apprentice Automotive Electrical student back in the late 1970’s.  I had experiences there that bring back wonderful memories, and I would have liked to share these with you.  Like you, I spent many years teaching adults and youth (30 years in total for myself, 20 of which were Automotive), however for me it was in Australia.  So your influence spread far and wide.  God bless you.
"Change is the only constant"

Offline otis

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #272 on: March 14, 2016, 22:06:39 »
Very, very sad news.

I will miss our lengthy discussions ! This forum will be so empty without Peter.
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #271 on: March 14, 2016, 19:56:30 »
I am so sorry to hear of Peter's passing, he will be sadly missed, please pass on my condolences.  I know I am not alone in saying that he will be remembered every time we login to the forum, with admiration and fondness.  As others have said his dedication to correctness has been second to none, which has always filled me with admiration.

I have always read PCs posts even if they are about something I have no knowledge of, as each subject is so well written that even I have gained quite a lot of information that I might never have known.

The posts between Sentinel S4 and PC will forever be in my mind, as although both had knowledge of their subject, they also had respect for one another.  A meeting of minds.

R.I.P PeeCee.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #270 on: March 14, 2016, 19:38:18 »
Desbrow. Congratulations on your comments regarding PeeCee; He couldn't have put them better! For me, and I'm sure many others, your first and last sentences are very pertinent. RIP Peter.

Offline Desbrow

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #269 on: March 14, 2016, 16:59:04 »
As one who reads far more than posts I would like to add my appreciation of Peter’s huge contribution to the forum and to offer my condolences to his family .

His interests may have seemed esoteric to some but his passion for them was obvious to all.  As others have pointed out he was unfailingly rigorous in his examination of any data or argument, including those he put forward himself.  You could easily picture him examining each new post with a jewelers glass.  What always struck me was the way he conducted his engagements with good manners and respect.  It’s rare to find an online discussion thread with the number of posts of those that he built that doesn’t descend into broad generalisations and outright insults.  His posts may have been feisty from time to time but they always moved the debate on for the illumination of others (even if the ‘brakes’ did have to be applied eventually to those slip coaches…).   

Farewell peterchall - it will be very odd not seeing you pop up in the recent post list.

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2016, 15:49:07 »
Such sad news to hear of Peter's passing, my condolences to his family.

Although I didn't get to meet Peter, I felt I knew him through his posts which were always fascinating, informative, detailed and witty, but written with the warmth and charm of a true gentleman.

He will be greatly missed.

I could not and will not try to improve on this post. It conveys my own feelings exactly and possibly the vast majority of the members of KHF.
RIP Peter

Offline Dinsy

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #267 on: March 14, 2016, 14:10:05 »
Such sad news to hear of Peter's passing, my condolences to his family.

Although I didn't get to meet Peter, I felt I knew him through his posts which were always fascinating, informative, detailed and witty, but written with the warmth and charm of a true gentleman.

He will be greatly missed.

KeithJG

« Reply #266 on: March 14, 2016, 13:42:54 »
I am also very sorry to hear of Peter`s passing away.

I was a Junior Technician in the Maintenance Building Department at the Medway College of Technology Fort Horsted from September 1963 until June 1968 and I was introduced to Peter, he being a lecturer, when he came into our workshop to order parts for the Mechanical Engineering Department.

This was in late1963 and he was a tall, upright, proud man with a long legged walk, wearing a slick suit. I was only 15yrs and he must of been around 34yrs at the time. I was so petrified at anything new, especially being introduced to people.

But sadly that is all I knew of him, just visiting our workshop when it was needed.

This forum will miss him greatly, also my condolences to his family.

Keith Graham

Online DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 18
« Reply #265 on: March 14, 2016, 13:10:54 »
I was very sorry to read of Peter's passing.   I had read, just a few days ago, of his infection, and hoped that he would soon be back.  In fact, when opening this thread I had half expected a tale of his incarceration without access to the internet, his frustration that things had moved on in "Hit and Run Attack on Canterbury" and that he would now have to re-calculate his theory on the basis of new evidence.  Sadly, that was not to be.

I wonder what historians of the future will make of the legacy that Peter has left on this forum, thorough his first-hand accounts; his detailed analysis of past-events and his enduring interest in Kent History.  I suspect that their conclusion will the same as mine: Peter was unique and we don't see his like very often;  KHF is the poorer for his passing and Kent's social historians will have lost a great amateur historian.

Respectfully, DTT

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2016, 12:32:53 »
So sorry to hear this sad news.
Peter and I never met, but our interests overlapped. The forum has lost a good friend.
My condolences to his family.

Offline scintilla

• Appreciation 17
    • Kenticisms
« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2016, 12:24:19 »
Just wanted to add my condolences. As a sparse poster, but a daily viewer I always enjoyed Peter's contributions to the different threads, especially his wartime memories.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2016, 12:01:07 »
Very sorry to hear this sad news, first met Mr Challis as he was then in about 1962 when I was an apprentice motor mechanic and Peter was a teacher at Medway College. Never met since but have messaged each other a few times. Will miss you Peter.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines