News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Fighting Temeraire  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
Re: The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:47:35 »
I have been looking through the National Archives web site and through their excellent - Nelson, Trafalgar and those who served....  Trafalgar Ancestors. As with many massive projects, there are a few mistakes.
When I looked at the book, The Fighting Temeraire by Sam Willis, I can see exactly the same mistakes.
There is a list of men on pages 260 to 276, which is called - Appendix II,  The Crew of HMS Temeraire at the Battle of Trafalgar   21st October 1805.
I may be wrong, but I do not think that Sam Willis used the muster book ADM 36/15851 as a primary source for his book. If using a secondary source, it is always best to check it thoroughly.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 264
Re: The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:26 »
I'm ploughing through this book at the moment. One of a stack of books I've got lined up.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:40 »
I don't think this book has been covered here before, if it has then apologies.
"The Fighting Temeraire" by Sam Willis is a well written biography of the ship, her building at Chatham, her French predecessor, the reasoning behind her build (I did not know she was almost a carbon copy of Victory), and her Naval service. Willis then goes into the history the painting of her by Turner, it's interpretation and why it became such a significant work of art to the Nation.
My copy was published by Quercus in 2010 and is, my opinion a very good, read for those with an interest in both Naval and Art History.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines