News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Fighting Temeraire  (Read 2527 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 266
Re: The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 11:20:38 »
Can we please remember folks that this thread is about the book "The Fighting Temeraire" by Sam Willis. If people want to make comments about or post information about the actual ship HMS Temeraire (1798 - 1838), then they should use this thread:

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14946
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:08:44 »
If you are planning to visit the dockyard you should be aware that all tickets are annual passes.  Once you've paid admission you can revisit as often as you want (except certain special events) for a year.

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 08:46:34 »
Yes, I saw the programme. I believe that the Temeraire saved the Victory. The more I look into the subject of Trafalgar, the more I am fascinated with the courage of the Redoutable's crew. Recently I have been trying to track down the number of prisoners/survivors from the Redoutable....and there are not many on them.
Chatham Dockyard is a place I have only got to twice so far. I visited once in the 1990's and again last year.....and I was impressed. I spent all day there, and only saw a fraction, so will have to return.

Offline Dave Smith

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 20:13:41 »
Many thanks for that. I don't know whether you saw the recent TV prog. on HMS Victory. Quite a bit about " The Yard", as it was always known in my day, where Victory was built & an interesting snippet that said Temeraire went to the aid of Victory at Trafalgar when she was caught up in the rigging of a French ship that was alongside.

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:18:48 »
The Missing Men.
To follow on from my last entry, here is two men who you will not find on the National Archives page, but were on board the Temeraire at Trafalgar, and in the navy for a very long time.

James Napier
SB 343, born in Aberdeen, previous ship - Andromache, age 24  Quality - Able seaman
James Napier then went on to HMS London in December 1805
On the 7th March 1816, he becomes a Master.
Served on board the Caledonia, as her Master, in 1834 / 35
Master Attendant at Malta from February 1837, on 400. pay
Received his Naval General Service Medal in 1848

Robert Henly  /  Henley
SB 377, born Santa Cruz, West Indies, previous ship - Andromache, age 22  Quality - Able seaman
Robert Henly then joined HMS Anson in January 1806
If you look at the Certificate of Servitude, which can be accessed through Ancestry, you see that Robert Henley was active from 1800 to 1845. From 1809 onwards, he is a Gunner in the Royal Navy.
Received his Naval General Service Medal in 1848

There is a 'Robert Young, SB 377' mentioned. The Temeraire had an Alex and Thomas Young, but no Robert.

(Alexander Black  SB 573 is a Masters Mate, not Able seaman)

As I said before, with any large project, hiccups will happen. The only problem is, the ones who are missing from the list are both very long serving members of the Royal Navy.....and should not be forgotten.

Offline Piglet 88

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 07:47:35 »
I have been looking through the National Archives web site and through their excellent - Nelson, Trafalgar and those who served....  Trafalgar Ancestors. As with many massive projects, there are a few mistakes.
When I looked at the book, The Fighting Temeraire by Sam Willis, I can see exactly the same mistakes.
There is a list of men on pages 260 to 276, which is called - Appendix II,  The Crew of HMS Temeraire at the Battle of Trafalgar   21st October 1805.
I may be wrong, but I do not think that Sam Willis used the muster book ADM 36/15851 as a primary source for his book. If using a secondary source, it is always best to check it thoroughly.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 266
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:02:26 »
I'm ploughing through this book at the moment. One of a stack of books I've got lined up.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 12:38:40 »
I don't think this book has been covered here before, if it has then apologies.
"The Fighting Temeraire" by Sam Willis is a well written biography of the ship, her building at Chatham, her French predecessor, the reasoning behind her build (I did not know she was almost a carbon copy of Victory), and her Naval service. Willis then goes into the history the painting of her by Turner, it's interpretation and why it became such a significant work of art to the Nation.
My copy was published by Quercus in 2010 and is, my opinion a very good, read for those with an interest in both Naval and Art History.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines