News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strong Room, Lower Gate  (Read 4664 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 14
Re: Strong Room, Lower Gate
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 16:52:42 »
Kent. Plan of part of Chatham Dockyard showing the dockyard wall, the lower gate and a piece of ground outside belonging to the Ordnance department. Details of internal structures are also shown. No scale shown. Compass indicator. Originally accompanying a letter dated 31 March 1818 from Captain Robert Barlow, Resident Commissioner at Chatham Dockyard, to the Commissioners of the Navy.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9413992

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 18:47:04 »
I was at the dockyard on Monday and managed to find a bit of time to investigate. In " A 'Code of Instruction for the Dockyard Police' dated 1833" mentioned earlier in there is reference to the lower gate on the Day Shift beats along the lines of "Static" and "the open ground beyond".

Within No 1 Smithery there is the painting by Joseph Farrington of Chatham Dockyard 1785 - 1794, opposite the model of Chatham Dockyard 1774. Which are probably the right side of 1833 for this purpose. In either the model or the painting, I cannot remember which, sorry the little gray cells are fading, there is a definite double white gate shown in the North wall roughly in line with the two mast ponds that existed then, with open ground beyond it.

Viewing any of line images of the Painting does not give enough resolution.

Searching the National Maritime Museum web site for the Chatham Dockyard model 1774, a link is here if it works - http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/68110.html

You can zoom in on the image. Inspect the wall to the left (the north) of the image, there are two brick piers within the wall which is where I saw the pair of white gates.

The Lower Gate?

merc

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 14:32:17 »
I've found a few mentions of the Lower Gate, but can't find the exact location. I've got a theory it might have either been the old name for Pembroke Gate, or was roughly somewhere in that area...

From an 1895 article:

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:32:16 »
 :)  I am sure its location will be found at some point!

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:05 »
Ah right - probably blows that theory then!!  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:20 »
1883 or 1889

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:47:06 »
I've not seen a 'Lower Gate' on any plans of the Dockyard I have, but mention of one is made in Phlip Macdougall's 'Chatham Dockyard, 1815-1865: The Industrial Transformation' in a 'Code of Instruction for the Dockyard Police' dated 1833. No real indication where it was located but possibly somewhere near the Boathouses. Maybe at the old boundary of the Yard before the time of the Extension.

As a matter of interest do you have a date of this plan please Kyn?

cliveh

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 409
    • Sheppey History
Strong Room, Lower Gate
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:49:19 »
I think this was in Chatham Dockyard but it may have been another local establishment!

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines