News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forum Problems  (Read 1611 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
Re: Forum Problems
« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 11:45:52 »
Deepest commiserations to Kyn on her loss. If she suffers from depression as well to me it's no wonder she has no time for the forum. Believe me I know how badly depression can affect you and make you cut yourself off from all around you.
Best wishes to the lady and thanks for setting up such a great forum.
AlanH.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #73 on: Yesterday at 11:34:41 »
Thank you for that Lyn L, puts it all into better perspective.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 10:55:04 »
Just to let you all know that sadly Kyns Dad passed away yesterday .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #71 on: Yesterday at 07:45:43 »
As well as the pictures and discussions on this website, there is  a tremendous amount of anecdotal information here as well, the wartime memories of the late 'peterchall' being a good example of this. It would be a terrible shame if these were to be lost to future generations.
I would be prepared to help save or transfer some posts if we can have a structured approach and also an 'optimum' method with regards to formatting and appearance of the saved page.
I used the forum a few months ago when trying to plot the position of the 'Luton' windmill(s).

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2019, 14:11:57 »
Can we now draw a line under "forum problems" and create a post for positive actions we can (who are willing to) to progress to a new site. Otherwise we will remain for ever looking negative.

I have begun copying posts that I have been involved in but we need a strategy even if this is disclosed off line.

Offline otis

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2019, 12:47:18 »
Death and cancer have a curious ability to cause a person to re-examine their lives and put energies elsewhere. Things that were once a priority may suddenly become an unnecessary trivial distraction. That can change again with time and is a different experience for everyone.

I've not been around here for a while. I have been active on other forums, and have twice seen posters on those refer to KHF as a source of valuable information! These were experts in history or other fields praising this forum, which consist mainly of dedicated amateurs (?). That praise is due to both the efforts of Kyn and the members in keeping things going over the years. It would indeed be a shame to see this all lost. Things may not have worked out as everyone would have hoped, but at least there is now clarity and everyone can work together in one direction and purpose.

Best wishes for the future of your forum!
"there was more hit than miss about this arbitrary bombardment"

Offline kms

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2019, 01:55:59 »

Very disappointed with the response, especially as there are many who would happily take up the mantle.  I spoke on the phone to Kyn about a member just over a year ago, and there was no indication of what was going to happen.  Depression is a terrible thing, and can cause you to lash out.  We all have medical ups and downs and losses (I do right now, but its not for this forum)

For reasons such as not being mentally in a dark place, I'm not going to beat up Kyn.  But, like many old buildings we have discussed over years on here, we are the temporary custodians of history, and it would be lovely if she could acknowledge this and pass on the baton.

Offline alkhamhills

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2019, 22:20:35 »
A sad business. As members we are all a “family”. we have all gladly invested time to the forum .If Kyn  does not want anything to do with the forum, She could at least be polite, and a pass on the baton to those who have the time/capability/desire to take over
I appreciate her personal problems, but she is not the only one to have problems

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2019, 18:23:44 »
I do apologise. Edited.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2019, 18:21:17 »
I need to point out the comment was from Lutonman1 not me plain old Lutonman.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2019, 17:26:17 »
Hi Lutonman 1,

I agree, she has done a marvellous job and things were running fine until she decided for whatever reason that there was no room in her life for it any more. As for her reaction to those of us who quietly, discreetly and respectfully offered our help or even offered to take it over, including any financial burden, and keep it running, that was totally uncalled for and wrong.

I felt it showed a level of contempt for the rest of us I found utterly despicable. I'm sure we all thought we were dealing with a reasonable person. Turns out that faith was misplaced.

As far as I am concerned the subject is closed and I for one will be looking to the future and working to build something new from the ashes of the old.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2019, 11:18:38 »
I must say that some replies to Kym have been shocking. As a fairly new member,
I think that Kym has done a marvelous job of running this site.
To lose two members of your family, and then been made redundant, is awful.
I will say thank you Kym, I did not know you well, I hope you find a suitable employment soon.

THANK YOU kYM for what you have done, FOR US.

A big HUG. xxx
MoK

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2019, 21:27:23 »
A sad business, but I think its clear that Kyn has misunderstood the good intentions of KHF members who want to see the forum continue.
After the year she's had I fully understand her reply.

I am a member of an international astronomy forum. A huge site and its a few years since the membership passed the 100,000 mark. For whatever reason the guy who originally started the whole thing has let it fall into disrepair. The were are large number of moderators and many keen amateur astronomers who contributed hugely and often. Such an important subject with a very wide appeal is never going to be left to fade away. I'm glad to see that from the ashes a new site is emerging, run by the keenest of members and it is slowly building. It'll take a long time to get back to the same levels as the old one, but it will happen.

The same will happen with the history forum, I'm sure.
Good luck to all who help with the new build.

Alec.

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2019, 20:44:26 »
"The forum holds no interest for me"
"I have no intention on spending time running it"
"I have no interest in it being open anymore"
"KHF is dead, gone and is not coming back"

So why couldn't this have been made clear last year?

What a shame that kyn appears to have nothing but contempt for the members of her own forum.

Well now we've seen her true colours - narcissistic drama queen. I'm done with it. I've begun the process of copying all the stuff I don't have backups for in preparation for putting up on the new Forum site when I set it up, probably after the Bank Holiday weekend.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 39
« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2019, 20:10:58 »
Suggest we use PM to send each ok us who want to continue our email address to avoid publication of them.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines