News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Life of a Lovely Lady  (Read 36114 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 155
Re: The Life of a Lovely Lady
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2014, 20:34:08 »
It is very difficult, I'll admit. The way I liked to work was with about 5-10 years, write the base then add the polish. One piece at a time. As easy as that (yeah right). Once you get into the third person view it makes life a lot easier as it gives you distance and therefore you can stand back WITHOUT JUDGEMENT. Then once written drop into the forum and hide beneath the dining table (cloth is optional). I doubt that you have anything to worry about (if I can get away with it so can you :-) (I'm whispering that)).

S4. 
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

busyglen

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 19:50:25 »
Busyglen two points; first your turn now and do not change a thing with your writing style. Secondly why have I got dust in my eyes? That last was quite emotional.

S4.

Thanks for your advice S4.  I have so enjoyed all of your `stories' and wished I had the flair for it.  I have started to write my story in the first person, as it is my life.....with my mother's it was simple to tell her story in the way that I did. Having said that it is very much in the same style so hopefully it will be ok.  The trouble is I'm apt to go back and re-read it and add bits, so perhaps it would be better to go with the flow, and then I can add any personal bits later for the `finished' story for the family.  I'll do my best anyway, and hope it's of interest. :)

busyglen

« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2014, 19:37:18 »
Busyglen, donít wait until you have finished writing your complete story before you start posting, but divide it roughly into sections and post them as you finish each one. As you do that and, hopefully, get replies from members it will give you ideas for the next bit, and bring back more memories.
Thanks for your advice PC.  Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare time as I am kept busy in other areas at home, but I have been adding bits as and when I have been able.  I have quite a good memory (for the past anyway) and have vivid memories of my childhood and growing up etc. so I don't think I will come to a standstill.  There will be sections that I will not post on here as they are private, but my intention is to write all that I can, and then when I have finished, I will insert the other chapters for the family later.  I'm sorry if you have to wait a bit inbetween. :(

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 155
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 20:22:54 »
Busyglen two points; first your turn now and do not change a thing with your writing style. Secondly why have I got dust in my eyes? That last was quite emotional.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 168
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 19:54:29 »
Busyglen, donít wait until you have finished writing your complete story before you start posting, but divide it roughly into sections and post them as you finish each one. As you do that and, hopefully, get replies from members it will give you ideas for the next bit, and bring back more memories.
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

John38

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 19:46:25 »
On the contrary, busyglen, you write very well. Many try too hard and allow the writing to get in the way. It's the storytelling and the story itself that should shine through ... as it does for you :)

busyglen

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 18:32:23 »
Thank you for your kind words JW.  :) I am not a writer, but glad that people have enjoyed it.  Although I have started my own life story, I am very aware how different my life has been to that of my Mother, and it has given me the chance to fill out parts that weren't included in her story.  The only thing is being over three score years and ten....this is going to take some time!

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 16:57:14 »
Educational, moving, inspirational and thoroughly engrossing.  Thank you busyglen.

JW

busyglen

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2014, 15:12:30 »
Thank you John38.  Glad you enjoyed it....I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but then we all enjoy different subjects.

If you had a lump in your throat, then that is all the acknowledgement I need.  :)

busyglen

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2014, 15:08:42 »
Many thanks for you kind words PC.  If nothing else, I hope that my mother's story might encourage others to do the same.  Sadly, I think that these days, the lives people live are quite different,  in that we have so much more than back then.  Yes, people do have difficult lives, but the feeling of closeness within families is not so readily acknowledged.  Having said that, all of my brothers and sister, have the same closeness with their families, which must mean something.  :)

John38

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2014, 21:20:11 »
Thank you for such a wonderful story, busyglen. Please excuse the lump in my throat.

Waiting for your own story now :)

Offline peterchall

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 168
  • 25.06.1929 - 12.03.2016
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2014, 19:55:25 »
How many of us must wish that we had recorded our parents' lives in detail like that? Too often do I have to say "I wish I had asked my mum/dad/ uncle/aunt while the chance was there".

A lovely story, and looking forward to yours :)
It's no use getting old if you don't get artful

busyglen

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 18:48:51 »
Thanks LynL and Ann, glad you liked it.  Minsterboy, you are right,  they were very hard times.

This story was written just after my mother died, and I did a copy for all the family as a sort of memorial for them.  Especially the younger ones who hadn't any idea of the sort of life she had, or indeed some of us older children.

The experiences were mostly written by Ellen, with me filling in later stories which she dictated.  Actually I put them on a tape recorder which proved much easier and she was less conscious of it.

There were many other occasions of Ellens life not noted in this story, but I am about to start writing my life story, which whilst touching on some of these occasions, will show more of her life whilst us children were growing up, and how she managed to clothe and feed us all.  I hope it will turn out to be interesting, especially as these memories are my own. 

Minsterboy

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 17:09:38 »
I think Lyn L got it dead right. Incredible the trauma that generation went through and yet never gave up.

Offline ann

• Appreciation 44
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 16:13:43 »
A lovely story busyglen. Thank you so much for sharing it.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines