News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: British Telecom  (Read 7849 times)

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Re: British Telecom
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 18:13:02 »
Thanks conan.

The next time you are walking about, have a look to see if you can see any other covers.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 09:42:37 »
Never seen one of them before.There's a history of the post office telegraphs here

http://www.btplc.com/thegroup/btshistory/btgrouparchives/majorcollections/infosheetprivatetelegraphsissue1v3.pdf

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 21:58:33 »
I was wondering as to where I could post this photo of mine, so I thought here would be a good place.

I have recently started to notice these covers, most of the ones like this say Post Office Telephones, I have recently seen about four that say Post Office telegraphs like the one in my photo.  Has anyone seen any of these themselves?

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 20:33:52 »
Did your father take any pictures of Sheppey mineral water companies Conan? if so I would love to see them. In the picture of the exchange building I can see in the background what looks like the farm house and sheds belonging to the late Mr and Mrs D Love, this is down the lane opposite the old Island hotel in Leysdown. SB.

As far as I know he didn't take any pictures of mineral water companies.At the risk of going off topic I wouldn't know where they were or what they looked like so if you PM me with further info I'll see what I have
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 56
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 15:43:03 »
Did your father take any pictures of Sheppey mineral water companies Conan? if so I would love to see them. In the picture of the exchange building I can see in the background what looks like the farm house and sheds belonging to the late Mr and Mrs D Love, this is down the lane opposite the old Island hotel in Leysdown. SB.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 13:49:59 »
Thanks for all your comments.It wouldn't surprise me if the photos were taken at different sites and at different times.All the photos I have posted on the forum over the last couple of years come from my dad who spent a lot of time before he died rationalising the thousands of pictures he'd taken over his life time and transferring a lot to computer a lot of which he then passed onto me.Unfortunately he sent the pictures but with no notes on most of them with names,places or dates.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 22:58:58 »
I think Person 1 may be standing in the Sheerness Exchange. The roof lines visible through the window look like the rear of "Portland Terrace".  OS map courtesy of Swale Planning and pic courtesy of GSV.
There is also a electricity substation shown on the OS map to the SW of the exchange which may help place the group shot.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 20:32:03 »
Thank you timeteamer, I was wondering what the display was for!

Offline timeteamer

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 20:30:14 »
There was a small training school in Sheerness exchange, one of the photographs shows a selection of external equipment which could have been on display to show the apprentices.

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 18:39:05 »
There's also a Morris Ital estate in the group picture so that would definitely make it 1980s.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 98
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 17:26:18 »
According to Wiki the Trimphone didnt become available in our area until 1968 .There is one in bits on the bench, :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 13:16:25 »
Pretty close Minsterboy!

Offline Spekes Bottom

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 13:07:05 »
Isn't that an Austin Maestro they're posing beside? That would date it 1983 at the earliest.

Minsterboy

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 12:56:28 »
Well don Kyn, I was only about 100yds out then.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines