News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: British Telecom  (Read 12020 times)

Minsterboy

Re: British Telecom
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:32 »
I'm pretty sure that the exchange is at Leysdown, close to the Warden Bay Road.
Also recognise a couple of the guys in the photo but don't know their names.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 10:30:49 »
MikeS My boss bought one of those vans from the BT surplus auctions in the early 1980's (1981/2). They were far better built than the Viva cars, better maintained as well. I agree though that this is earl-mid 1970's though. That moustache  has a life of it's own (even though I'm a lifelong cultivator of one).

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 10:23:51 »
I feel sure that the first picture is sometime between 1964 and perhaps mid 70's. The square shape Viva van was introduced in about 1963/4 and I would think that they did not last very long, probably rusted away within ten years.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:14:39 »
Thank you for adding these, what fantastic photos!

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 78
British Telecom
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 00:16:51 »
Wasn't sure where to put this post.My Dad spent his life as a telephone engineer first with the GPO and then with British Telecom when it went private.This set of photos I have just found and feature a telephone exchange that I assume is on the Isle of Sheppey and a few of the old fellows work colleagues,the date is unknown but I suspect is around 1986 although the wild flared trousers in a couple of the  shots may point to 70s date.any help with names and the location of the exchange would be good.It seems like a new building so whether they were commissioning a new exchange  I don't know.

the building

interiors

the flares

the people

Dad in the middle

[/URL

The ol' man at work
[URL=http://img812.imageshack.us/i/m19s.jpg/]

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines