News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Lydden Spout Rifle Range, near Dover  (Read 6693 times)

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 237
Re: Lydden Spout Rifle Range, near Dover
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 16:52:27 »
Link to Lydden Spout Range byelaws 1967. 11 pages with map. PDF file 1.6 MB.
http://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/39535/lydden_spout_range.pdf
Hometown Blues Syd Arthur

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 18:36:23 »
This bit of an old Ordnance Survey map gives some idea of the area. It's reminded me how the road system used to be up there.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 18:23:28 »
Thankyou JohnG, that's interesting. We were not frequent visitors to this part of the cliff path. I remember the adders very well down near an Abbotscliffe Tunnel adit though. I think I'll leave the deep level tunnel explorations to our younger, fit members. In our youth we'd have been down there like a shot if we had known about it. As you mention, it would be dangerous. Some of the cliff at Shakespeare Cliff has already come down. I'm trying to visualise how it used to look when it was the Old Folkestone Road going up to the range. The old road may have crossed a cattle grid when it entered the range.

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 16:20:58 »
The three concrete structures along the cliff top are the three 6 inch gun emplacements of Lydden Spout Battery of WW2 period.  There is a zig-zag path that goes down near No 2 gun emplacement.  The deep shelter can be reached from this path but is dangerous.  If it is summer mind the adders.  When planning the building of Dover Harbour and its defences at the end of the 1800's it was considered to build a 3 x 9.2 inch gun battery at Lydden Spout near the Old Coastguard Cottages but it was finally built on the Western Heights, now Citadel Battery.  The cottages are now under the new A20 just on the Dover side of the lay-by.
I am happy to share the plan of the rifle range but I have it in high resolution which makes it a big file, it is far too big for this site.  I do have a paper copy as well.  The plan also has Lydden Spout Battery on it.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:30:00 »
From Bing Maps. The red arrow is whereIi think the steps with a cable handrail went down the cliff. I can't recall what the masonry bases on the cliff edge were. From the WW2 era I expect.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:07:05 »
Many years ago we kids would take a walk along the clifftop footpath. If they were firing, a red flag was hoisted on a metal flagpole near the path and a sentry posted in a little concrete sentry box. That was at the Dover side of the Range. Presumably there was a similar arrangement on the Folkestone side but I don't remember about that. Sometimes we'd climb down to the old colliery site(Samphire Hoe nowadays) via a set of gut wrenching steps and paths. Not for the faint hearted! At low tide only we could continue towards Folkestone along the beach thus avoiding the Range. In later years we found another path down the cliff near the Range. I suppose this was constructed by the army and consisted of wooden steps and a stout metal cable to hold on to. This came down near the Dover end of Abbotscliffe railway tunnel.
Along at Hythe Ranges a workmate of mine once had a job on the little range boat which anchors off the ranges to keep shipping away when firing is going on. As far as i know the Hythe Ranges are still in use.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:53 »
That would be an interesting plan to see JohnG.  :)

Would there have been an earlier Musketry School / Camp on the same site by any chance?

cliveh

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:48 »
I have a plan of the Lydden Spout Rifle Range showing all the buildings as well built at different times.  The plan records the start date of construction as 1914.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 23:37:24 »
The second photo down looks a little like the rifle range in Sheerness.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Lydden Spout Rifle Range, near Dover
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:33:31 »
Not sure of the exact history of this place but it was in use during WWI and was still in use in the 1980's:

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines