News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dock Road, Chatham  (Read 3415 times)

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
Re: Dock Road, Chatham
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 16:22:02 »
I think you are right in your assumption of the highway being raised. The doorway in the barracks wall mentioned earlier in this thread is also very much shorter than it should be.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 15:23:28 »
So that's clearly confirmed that they were toilets but It's still a bit strange that they aren't marked on any OS maps. Also, if you were above average height you could easily bash your head on the way in, especially if you were half cut at the time, which I assume would not have been an unusual occurrence. Perhaps the pavement level has been raised a few inches since they fell out of use?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 12:09:38 »
Does anyone know for sure that these were actually public toilets? I can't find them marked as such on any map and the doorways seem far too low - a person of average height would have to duck to get through them and they also look a bit too narrow.

Definitely public toilets. I used them on occasions walking up Dock Road from HMS Pembroke. There were other public toilets at the top of Brompton High Street, and just before my time beside the Garrison Gym. All three were located so as to reduce the incidents of street urination by soldiers, sailors and dockyard workers.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:04 »
Smiffy, I can confirm that they were toilets, built at the expense of the  Dockyard between the wars, after complaints by local people that Dock Road was becoming an open sewer, as sailors returning to the barracks used it to unload their 'cargo' after a run ashore in Chatham. As a sea cadet I used them a few times, so they must have been closed after the Dock Road accident. I think the reason for closure was that "gentlemen of the night" began to frequent them.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:22:21 »
I know its weird but there are loads of bricked up toilets in Gillingham that Id like to take a look at, just to see what lies beyond those bricks. Yes, i know, just a load of dirty old porcelain and metal but when something is abandoned for many years it just fascinates me to see how it still looks. Other examples are the ex public toilets just up from the strand in Ingram Road and just a little further up those in Livingstone Circus, sandwiched between shops. Wonder who at the council first decided that these toilets should be sited where they were and then when they should go?

There are some really beautiful toilets by Rochester bridge that have been blocked up for years on the Rochester side. If only they had taken a picture of them to preserve their history so I can understand why you would like a peep at others.
Hope x

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 17:21:04 »
I know its weird but there are loads of bricked up toilets in Gillingham that Id like to take a look at, just to see what lies beyond those bricks. Yes, i know, just a load of dirty old porcelain and metal but when something is abandoned for many years it just fascinates me to see how it still looks. Other examples are the ex public toilets just up from the strand in Ingram Road and just a little further up those in Livingstone Circus, sandwiched between shops. Wonder who at the council first decided that these toilets should be sited where they were and then when they should go?
nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 15:06:10 »
Does anyone know for sure that these were actually public toilets? I can't find them marked as such on any map and the doorways seem far too low - a person of average height would have to duck to get through them and they also look a bit too narrow.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 13:48:44 »
The toilets are on the left by the steps as you go up Dock Road.   I have seen another blocked up doorway on the left as you go down Dock Road.

Offline MartinR

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 23:49:12 »
I know how you feel.  There's a couple of stones in Rochester Cathedral I'd like to knock out to see if the old chantry chapel is where I think it is.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 21:09:40 »
As much as I would love to knock out a few bricks I don't think the MoD would be impressed :-)

This wall is the boundary for Brompton Barracks, I think this used to be a pedestrian access from the barracks - although I have to evidence of this!

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 16:47:35 »
I thought I saw steps there a long time ago but the levels are wrong.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 16:26:44 »
If this was a tunnel entrance at one time, it would have gone off in the general direction of the Brompton Barracks parade ground.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 03:53:01 »
Any chance of removing a brick or two,just to see if it is an entrance, should not be too difficult to get permission. What a project for Kyn as the lady loves digging in odd places (Fort Borstal). I'm certain some of the guys who worked there would be only to willing to help?
Just think about it, the forums own "time team".

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 22:53:27 »
A wider view.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 84
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:12:01 »
The toilets were a lot nearer the top of Dock Road, almost by the roundabout now (can be seen on GE ) . Have no idea what the bricked up doorway was though .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines