News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Electricity Generating Connection.  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Re: Electricity Generating Connection.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 13:45:51 »
Thank you Scoop. He, Morcom, helped design the generating sets that saw service all over the world, in ships as well as land based. He is, along with Belliss, quite important in the history of steam. It is interesting how often Kent crops up in the history of steam and the men involved, one day I might have to do a list.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 46
Re: Electricity Generating Connection.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 13:31:59 »
S4, a quick newspaper search shows Alfred Morcom was appointed chief engineer at Sheerness in April 1883 from first assistant to the chief engineer at Portsmouth.  He retired from Sheerness to join Bellis & Co in March 1884. 

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
Electricity Generating Connection.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 18:10:47 »
I have to start with a question for the Main Moderator. Could you place this elsewhere because I'm not certain where it should be.

Doing a little research today I have found out that Alfred Morcom of Belliss and Morcom steam engineers was once Chief Engineer at Sheerness Dock Yard. It seems that Alfred Morcom was Navy Trained, became Chief at Sheerness and finally a partner with Belliss in Birmingham. I am interested in his time at Sheerness as this was the time of huge change for the Royal Navy as steam was becoming the prime mover.     

This being the Kent History Forum I have no option but to throw this out to the members for information. Please do not trust Wikipedia as the dates there are contradictory and make no sense.

Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines