News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bat and Ball, Sevenoaks  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
Re: Bat and Ball, Sevenoaks
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 16:40:24 »
 :)
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 16:30:13 »
Thank you S4

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 15:46:46 »
It went to the quarry. If you GE the area you can make out where it was.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 15:33:13 »
Thanks Merc - that's brought back some childhood memories!!  :)

I seem to remember that there was a siding going off the line somewhere between Bat & Ball and Otford. It seemed to disappear into some woods. I never did find out where it led too. Doesn't seem to be any sign of it now!

cliveh

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 15:31:32 »
This was the Sevenoaks terminus for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway. The South Eastern had already reached Sevenoaks and denied the LCDR direct access to their station. There was a link between the two that was hardly used by passenger trains for a few years. Later when accord was reached this became another wayside station. This was yet another example of the bitter battle between the two companies that was only partially resolved by the formation of the SECR.

When built there was a link to the Ashford line, which diverges about a mile north of the station, which allowed you to access Maidstone from here, bearing in mind that the SER missed the county town by a good margin and only deemed it worthy of a branch (the Medway Valley line).

S4.

merc

Bat and Ball, Sevenoaks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 14:53:55 »
Bat and Ball station lies north of Sevenoaks and was opened on the 2nd June, 1862. It was named after the Bat and Ball Inn, which no longer exists. It was originally called Sevenoaks Bat & Ball but became just Bat and Ball about 1950. The station was the original terminus for Sevenoaks before the main line and new station at Tubs Hill, was opened in 1868. The Grade II Listed station became unmanned in the early 1990's.

(Picture from Google Streetview)

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines