News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Munday. Music shop.  (Read 5158 times)

KeithJG

Re: Munday. Music shop.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 13:22:04 »
I lived at 28 Copenhagen Road in 1954 / 6  when i was 6 / 8yrs

I used to go down to the bottom of Canterbury Street on the left going down with my Mum to get her records and no. 9 was  A. Worsfolds which in Kelly`s 1965 is called a Music Warehouse.

So now i have to dig out our old 78`s to see if there are any covers with them ?

Number 9 in the picture just up and opposite the Pavillion. Notice Google call it Skinner St.!

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:35 »
I think that you have a very interesting record, colin haggart! As well as being in the `top flight` of concert pianists, Paderewski was Prime Minister of Poland. I`ve never heard of "Pace" or "Symphanola".

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 22:55:02 »
You never mentioned what the music was and surely you didn't still have something to play it on.

Minsterboy, the music on the record is, Pace, played by Paderewski. He was a Polish pianist who died in 1941. On the other side is Symphanola.  Like most 78 rpm records there isn't an A or B side.  The record also says speed 80rpm.  I do not know if the record in the cover is the original one that comes with the cover.

Offline numanfan

• Appreciation 125
    • www.move2medway.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:50:35 »
In my 1926 Kelly's Directory, George Munday, music seller, has his shop at 22 & 24.

No.s 26, 28 & 30 were residential houses, which appear to have been demolished to build The Pavilion.

www.move2medway.co.uk - take the journey

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 15:11:28 »
You never mentioned what the music was and surely you didn't still have something to play it on.

Yes, we can still play 78s, not on a gramophone though. 

Offline snodlandmalc

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:57:41 »
In my 1938 Kelly's Directory it say's "26,28 & 30 The New Pavilion (Geo. Munday, propr.).

Perhaps there was a stall within the building and not a standard shop as we would think of it.

Hope thats of some help.

Minsterboy

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:40:52 »

merc

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 09:22:56 »
Nice find Colin Haggart. I've never heard of Munday's in Canterbury Street before.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Munday. Music shop.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 19:55:06 »
There were four 78 rpm records in Age concern today that were in covers that came from Munday, 22-24 Canterbury Street, Gillingham, oddly enough the shop was about 70 or so yards up the road from Age Concern. I bought this one. Munday was where The Pavilion, later then became night clubs under various names over the years now stands where Munday's was.  Has anyone heard of this shop?  Were there any other branches?

Where Munday's was.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines