News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Butchers shop, Station Road, Rainham  (Read 2726 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Butchers shop, Station Road, Rainham
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 09:14:42 »
Yes, Hales the butchers was the name.  Not far up the road from them (on the right going towards the A2) was a greengrocer, the owner of which was also a Medway taxi owner driver, as I used to be.
AlanH.

Offline CKL

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 14:17:50 »
Back in the late 70s when I lived in Wigmore we used to buy meat from a butchers shop down on the left going from the High St. Wasn't a Kemsley's at that time as the old chap who ran it had owned it for years.
Great butcher who would trim excess fat of T bones......his son who was reputed to be a thoroughly nasty piece of work just sneered when I took back a bag of fat he'd left on our steaks.
"Don't like it don't come back" he said so we didn't even when the old man came back from his holiday in Spain.
Can't think of their names but will try tonight when I'm supposed to be sleeping! :)
AlanH.

According to 1971 Kelly's, at 189 Station Road, Rainham was W. H. Hales & Son, Butchers and at no. 78 Station Road, Wm. Alfd. Dennis, Butchers. 

ckl

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:31:43 »
Back in the late 70s when I lived in Wigmore we used to buy meat from a butchers shop down on the left going from the High St. Wasn't a Kemsley's at that time as the old chap who ran it had owned it for years.
Great butcher who would trim excess fat of T bones......his son who was reputed to be a thoroughly nasty piece of work just sneered when I took back a bag of fat he'd left on our steaks.
"Don't like it don't come back" he said so we didn't even when the old man came back from his holiday in Spain.
Can't think of their names but will try tonight when I'm supposed to be sleeping! :)
AlanH.

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 22:08:34 »
The butchers shop was Kemsley's. They had butcher shops in all the medway towns

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 22:17:11 »
Back in the 1940s
Quote " I think he was the brother of the Mr Denis who ran the butcher’s shop just down Station Road.  "
You might find more info where this came from
http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/articleslist/195-rainham-life-in-1940s

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
Butchers shop, Station Road, Rainham
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 21:00:29 »
I am working at number 70 Station Rd, Rainham. It was at one time a butchers. It still has the metal meat hook bars and cold store. Does anyone know what it was called and when. There is also a metal sign with Albion Terrace. I have looked at Kellys for 1966, however it shows it as unoccupied. Any info much appreciated.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines