News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Camden Park Chalk Mine, Lubbock Road, Chislehurst  (Read 2468 times)

Helen

Camden Park Chalk Mine, Lubbock Road, Chislehurst
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 13:38:16 »

Hi, I'm interested in the Samian ware and other objects that were found in 1857 in a marl pit in the Camden Park Chalk mine, Lubbock Rd, Chislehurst, Kent. I have recently read an article in Vol 11 of the Chelsea Spelaeological Society which describe the find;
'The pit was thought to be a marl pit...out of the infill came the teeth and jaws of oxen and deer antlers, teeth and jaws of a dog or wolf, the skulls of smaller creatures such as hedgehogs, the skeleton of a hog and another of a horse or ass. Near to the ceiling was a piece of Samian ware, possibly a salt cellar with a potter's mark of fifth century...'

I found an article by Robert Booth Latter Esq!!in the Kent Archaelogical Society (vol1 1858p140) describing the fragments of fifth century Samian ware found in the marl pit...http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/001-1858/10/138.htm

Any idea what happened to these objects?

I have already contacted Bromley Museum, who told me that the Samian artefacts are not part of the Museum’s collection. They have also checked with ODAS’s The Upper Cray Valley Project Volume III: 700 BC – AD 410 (Iron Age and Roman) and, while it does acknowledge the excavation, it shows the artefacts’ location as unknown.

I have also contacted Maidstone museum who cannot find any reference to any material from Camden Park Chalk Mine and suggested I contact you.

I would be very interested to hear if anyone has any information relating to this find.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines