News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Demolition of Grain and Kingsnorth chimneys.  (Read 10268 times)

Offline Maid of Kent

• Appreciation 11
Re: Demolition of Grain and Kingsnorth chimneys.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 21:41:39 »
It will change the view for those over the water! Grain - the 'Big' chimney, as we call it here, wasn`t built when I came to live here 40 years ago. My sister-in-law did a water colour of the view at that time. Shame I didn`t think to get her to do one with the chimneys in situ! We will watch, with interest, the demolition process from the beach this summer!

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 10:22:27 »
Many years ago (about '66 or 67) during one of my many "rest periods" I did a couple of nights work at Kingsnorth for a company contracted to wash the bottom of the chimneys.
We used a long probe which was gradually inserted into the base of the chimney and a high pressure jet washed the inside walls flushing out all sorts of build up of crap.
What it actually was we flushed I don't know but they couldn't do it during the day as the huge stain caused by this stuff, which went straight out into the river, would have been seen and that may have upset people.
I suspect that it wouldn't be allowed today and even then may well have been illegal or frowned upon.
AlanH.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:53:03 »
Heres the News article from the beginning of April.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/medway-skyline-changing-forever-15356/

I wonder if they will blow the chimneys or dismantle in sections from the top, as they did the old Kemsley Mill chimney. If they blow, hope they don`t do it in secret, like the Sittingbourne Mill water tower when they built Morrisons.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Demolition of Grain and Kingsnorth chimneys.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 22:00:36 »
It looks like those two are to be demolished.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines