News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kitchener Barracks - Up For Sale  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Kitchener Barracks - Up For Sale
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 17:22:14 »
Pr1uk, as much as I'd like to disagree, I can't. The Medway Towns have become a commuter dormitory, where the people who live here and earn good money work elsewhere. They use out of town shopping centres and on the whole, contribute little to the local economy. In Lower Gillingham where I live, the place seems to be infested with Jeremy Kyle fodder, migrants from all manner of places and students, all of whom bring their own problems and not much benefit to the area, apart from to the landlords who charge extortionate rents (£100+ a week for a room in a shared house), thus driving hard-working  families out.

The closure and demolition of Kitchener Barracks is sadly a symptom of a number of malaises affecting our nation, which are caused by the fact that our politicians know that the 'something for nothing' culture which follows our bloated welfare state wins votes, whereas Defence doesn't. This has resulted in our armed forces being run on a shoestring and constantly struggling to do more with less. Medway Council are unlikely to object to more brownfield development proposals as more people means more Council Tax receipts and more subsidies from the Government.

Brompton will be next, as more and more of the RSME is relocated to Minley in order to make better use of already meagre resources. I would lay money on Brompton being closed at some point in the next ten years. The barracks is already privately owned and rented back to the MOD by the Holdfast Group, who entered a PFI contract on the promise of massive returns from the sale and development of the training areas and former barracks at Lodge Hill and Chattenden as well as Kitchener Barracks. The work of clearing the site at Lodge Hill, the site with the most potential for development, has all now been stopped because of discoveries of rare wildlife there, so Holdfast are losing money on managing the barracks at Brompton, meaning that they're unlikely to want to renew the contract. Not renewing the contract and being unlikely to find someone else to take it on will give the MOD the excuse for closure and someone to point the finger of blame at.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 16:15:52 »
I think that the rear block is being retained - does anyone know if there are any parts of the 18th century barracks remaining?

Online pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:09:54 »
Another sad reminder that Medway is dying when I was young Medway bounced with all the service personal lively crowded pubs now empty pubs loads of coffee shops full of east europeans working just enough hours to still claim benefits. City of Rochester was always the place to go for a more quiet drink but Chatham and parts of Gillingham for great fun and lively entertaining pubs it was fun now everything as gone or going Naval Base all the service personal that made the Medway towns fun, all gone, City of Rochester still a nice high street to visit but Chatham and Gillingham I would visit only if I really really had to and of course Rochester's "City" status was lost by the council for their own gain no doubt. Yes sell all the old building they are only a reminder of happier years build flats after all we need housing there is hundreds coming in every week the government as to put them somewhere.
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline MedwayDweller

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 19:01:05 »
Regards Kitchener barracks being surplus to requirements and hence sold off for development, does anybody know exactly what army operational changes have occurred? The Royal Engineers are still in residence so what has changed to create fewer military personnel in the towns?

nostalgia's not what it used to be

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 60
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 14:02:00 »
Demolition is now underway.

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 15:36:47 »
Up by the Naval War Memorial, there still is some very well maintained sports/cricket fields. Wonder how long these will remain in use/needed, with the closure of Kitchener Barracks, and reduction of personnel in the area?

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:31:43 »
GP is correct. There has been a major rebuilding programme inside Brompton Barracks. That, combined with the closure of training establishments at Lodge Hill/Chattenden means that the large scale accommodation offered in Kitchener Barracks is now surplus to requirements.

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:37 »
The block that faces onto Dock Road is a major scene-setting landmark building, it would be a sad loss if it was to go. Other less impressive bulk-standard versions of this type of 'Sandhurst' barrack block are listed. The Kitchener Barracks 'Sandhurst' barrack block is a rare hybridised version adapted for Royal Engineer use so why can't it also be listed? Surely conversion to student accommodation could be explored as an alternative?

Offline GP

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:02 »
I think that new forces accommodation is being built on the Brompton Barracks site! Perhaps not so much though!

merc

Kitchener Barracks - Up For Sale
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 10:39:47 »
Medway’s second oldest military site is up for sale and could become a new housing development.

A DIO spokesman said: “Kitchener Barracks is in the process of being sold and the sale should be completed by late July."

“The precise details of any proposed development – including whether it would involve the demolition of existing buildings – are a matter for the successful buyer and will be subject to planning permission.”

Full story: http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/historic-barracks-site-is-up-17414/

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines