News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tilling-Stevens Engineering Factory - Maidstone  (Read 18546 times)

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
Re: Tilling-Stevens Engineering Factory - Maidstone
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 18:24:06 »
This I understand to be correct as to the Czech refugees as this was also told to me by my late father-in-law and his neighbour about 25 years ago. He also had lots of TS3 parts around his workshop . My father-in-law worked as an apprentice engineer for TS before moving into the paper mills and then to the Sharps and then Trebor factory.

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:49 »
During the 1950s/1960s the Rootes Group utilised, in their Commer goods range and in buses/coaches, a very distinctive sounding diesel, the TS3 that was produced at the Maidstone factory. It was a common misconception that `TS` stood for `two-stroke` but in fact it was Tilling-Stevens and the engine was actually of a 3 cylinder horizontally opposed design.

The design of the TS3 is officially credited to a team working at the main Commer plant at Dunstable, post-war, but a few years ago an interesting, sadly still unverified, alternative version to that came my way. An article was written by a chap with close connections to the post-communist Czechoslovakia automotive industry suggesting the design had originated there pre-war as a concept and was brought to Maidstone by refugee Czech engineers who worked there during WW2. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the elderly author of this article he had lapsed into dementia and was of no help in providing source information to verify the claim.

Offline mad4amanda

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 22:38:34 »
I think the prototype Imp engines (themselves a conversion of the Coventry Climax pump engine) were built there and in the old aero engine shop in Mill Street. The old neighbour of my former father-in-law worked on them there in prototype stage. Suffice to say he still had a lovely Imp which was a wolf in sheeps clothing, looking completely standard but with a full race engine, only the very observant would spot the grille for a front radiator and slightly bigger exhaust, it went like stink!

Offline Mike S

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 22:06:04 »
I was told many years ago that in the 1960's the engines for Hillman Imps were built in the Tilling Stevens factory. Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 20:13:10 »
For a building dating from 1917 that looks so modern. Thank you for posting.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Tilling-Stevens Engineering Factory - Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 14:42:43 »
The iconic, but sadly long empty & now somewhat derelict, former Tilling-Stevens Engineering factory in Maidstone. Built in 1917 its a rare survivor of the American 'Daylight' style of architecture.

Tilling-Stevens were famous for the manufacture of goods vehicles and buses.

During WWII it manufactured armaments and searchlights and was camouflage painted to obscure it from the air.

The building is now Grade II Listed and various plans have been put forward for it but as far as I know nothing has come of them

cliveh

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines