News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ramsgate seafront.  (Read 35520 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 154
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: Ramsgate seafront.
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 16:19:14 »
2014  :)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 10:58:43 »

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2013, 14:22:13 »
Fantastic NEW aerial photos of bygone Ramsgate here:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/asearch?search=Ramsgate

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:13 »
Some interesting pictures here!

http://www.ramsgatehistory.com/forum/index.php

NCR

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 19:13:55 »
Knew Ramsgate had gone to pot by the 90s but goodness yes seeing those photos are heart breaking as is taking a stroll along google earth. Which clarifies better as the two photos are not as closely aligned as you might think - if like me you've been away 30 years.

Sad, and just a little angry for the old girl.

Interesting attempted exploration of the "underground complex" to the swimming pool - the place Thanet Council says doesn't exist- is here: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=48498. Plenty of film of inside the scenic railway tunnel on YOU TUBE also I noticed last night.

Delighted to hear of motor racing taking place further along Ramsgate seafront in the 50s. Does anyone have photos, race-itineries?.

I was looking at Ramsgate Marina Esplanade in its 1950s heyday last night and, oddly enough, thinking really it's a cut price Monaco isn't it?.

Just the following small section alone consisting of:

Marina Esplanade into Harbour Parade braking hard for Madeira Walk - (love the climb up the hill!), the sweeping curves of Wellington Crescent and a charge down Marina Road to the hairpin... Back down to the esplanade and perhaps some temporary pits in front of the amusement arcades and bar - the buildings I remember from my childhood were perfect.

Plenty of other opportunities along the front and through the town though.

I'd love to have thrown a Maserati 250F round some of that!.

We don't need Royal Sands - we need a pit complex. Actually, the ground floor of Royal Sands would do admirably if we dispense with shops and cafes :)

The British Maritime Grand Prix - low rent but a sight more entertaining than Valencia.

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 09:25:50 »
And racing cars in the 50s  :) can still smell 'em...
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline Bryn Clinch

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 72
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 09:16:36 »
Motor cycle sprints at the Western Undercliff in the 60s!

Offline kenty

• Appreciation 5
    • Images21
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 23:17:58 »
Such memories! I remember the helter skelter and ghost train well - always thought the ghost train was one of the best in the area. And of course the dodgems....
Follow The 'fleet - The Team of Dreams

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 83
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 21:32:39 »
Me too with the helter skelter and ghost train, also the childrens playground which had Mobo rocking horses and bikes etc. I was too young to go into Nero's or places like that before we moved to Medway , how I missed the seaside .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

srpiccallilli

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 20:52:22 »
I remember the helter skelter too. I also remember the ghost train, which I managed to get locked in and the owner went home. They had to call the police and get him back to let me out.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 54
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 20:08:30 »
And who remembers the helter skelter which ended in a large polished wooden bowl.  All the men used to stand round and watch the girls come down and flash their stockings and suspenders as they spun round on their backs in the bowl.  I wonder if the helter skelter is still around somewhere as i've not seen another like it.

The slide had a rubber edge and my Dad took me down between his legs.  I held on to his knees but as we picked up speed his knee trapped the back of my right hand against the rubber and burnt a big area of skin off.  Mum made me hold my hand in the sea to make it better - ouch!!!

srpiccallilli

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 14:49:44 »
I, too, remember all of this. I used to spend many an afternoon at the Marina and used to come out and go into Harrison's for a bowl of tomato soup and a roll for about 6d. I couldn't count the amount of times I travelled on the little railway. There used to be a little children's playground going up the hill from the Marina. It was on top of the buildings. Then, of course, there was the lift up the cliff face just by the entrance to the Marina. Halcyon days. I remember when there was a cliff fall at the railway and it was closed. I loved the lit-up floor at the Supreme and saw many groups at the Coronation. I also saw the Stones at the West Cliff - I believe I still have the ticket stubs.

darrenh

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 18:05:21 »
are the arches/coves still there along the beach ?

Deano

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:14 »
I went to Ramsgate in `79 and `80 with the school,
We stayed at the Tancliffe Guest House both times, it was up on the hill overlookin the amusements.
Although even then i dont think there were any amusements left but you could see there used to be.
It was still a busy resort and town.

Went back there about `90  and all the guest houses were boarded up and the place was in Huge decline.

I hear Ramsgate is back on the up, quite fashionable even...

Although a lot or people wont like seeing all their memories bulldozed,
the place needs to be bought back in to life just to exsist at all....

fortknox0

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 21:20:40 »
In the bigger of the 2 car parks next to the old nero's archs was the marina swimming pool. The swimming pools long gone but part of the underground changing rooms still exist under the slope road leading into the car park. There mostly back filled with chalk but afew original features still exist...

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines