News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mods and Rockers in Margate Whitsun 1964  (Read 4824 times)

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
Re: Mods and Rockers in Margate Whitsun 1964
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:25:52 »
I well remember being in Margate at that time and yes there were gangs of what we called "noddy boys" who wore anoraks and rode scooters and rockers who had sideburns and leather jackets and apparently rode motor bikes.
But my mate and me who were sleeping rough (on the beach and sometimes with some very rough birds :)) ......didn't see much violence. The one time a bit of a punch up nearly put us off our drinking was in a bar in Dreamland or just outside, when a couple of bouncers got their heads punched.
More of a laugh than anything else but good for selling newspapers I suspect.
AlanH.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:27:20 »

Offline StuarttheGrant

• Appreciation 9
  • Poynter House a long way from Dover.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 00:16:03 »
 Well yes, I was in Margate that fateful weekend, I was in a friends sidecar, my leg being in a plaster cast. We (The Dover Rockers) set off for a bank holiday jaunt to Dreamland. Nobody was looking for any confrontation just a day out, there were lots of young guys on bikes and even more on scooters. The "Mods" I later learned had came down from London for the day.
 There were high spirited taunts and the odd scuffle, all blown up by the press but that was about it. A myth of the 60's. I enjoyed myself!
 Stuart
Stuart...

John38

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 09:13:51 »
At the risk of going off-thread. The Mods & Rockers is the famous illustration of what criminologists term, the 'Deviancy Amplification Spiral'.
It began with a few motorcyclists having an argy-bargy. The press OVER reported it. The public panicked (moral panic) and demanded a high police presence over the forthcoming bank holiday. The police and the press turned out in force and set about mods and rockers. It then became a self-fulfilling prophesy, as Mods & Rockers turned out in force, drawn to the 'fun & action' described in the National Press. Government was called to pass legislation... a spiral of events (The Deviancy Amplification Spiral). It soon dies out though.

Such spirals have occurred since. Ask yourself what happened to Joy Riders/ Gangs of youths mugging everyone for their mobile phones/ and following the John Prescott incident,  the Hoodies!!

Offline RonC

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 17:55:47 »
HI
I was there, but it was mostly all media 'hype'. Yes, loads of young lads running around looking tough, but it was 'something to do' at a Bank Holiday weekend. Margate, Ramsgate (though I never knew why?) and for some strange reason Bognor Regis and Eastbourne. Not exactly where you might expect thousands of yobs to be walking around looking for a 'punch up' ;-)
I do remember one Bank Holiday at Margate when hundreds of Mods were playing a sort of free-for-all game of football, no Rockers in sight, but a photo of it made the front page of the Mirror - hilarious really.
This is my first post, not exactly anything remotely interesting, but it gives me a chance to use my new avatar ;-)
Ron

akuk

Mods and Rockers in Margate Whitsun 1964
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 11:03:11 »
Do any members have personal accounts of the clashes between mods and rockers in Margate in 1964.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines