News: “Over the graves of the Druids and under the wreck of Rome,
Rudely but surely they bedded the plinth of the days to come.
Behind the feet of the Legions and before the Norseman’s ire
Rudely but greatly begat they the framing of State and Shire
Rudely but deeply they laboured, and their labour stand till now.
If we trace on ancient headlands the twist of their eight-ox plough.”

-Rudyard Kipling
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Chatham Dockyard Home Guard  (Read 3301 times)

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
Re: Chatham Dockyard Home Guard
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 21:29:55 »
That would be great if you could :)

yaffaw1

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:32 »
  I'm sure my Granddad was in the Dockyard Home Guard but he's not in Mike's photo, so it would be plausible that there were 2 companies. I will have to get my Mum to dig out the photos.

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 12:51:25 »
Chatham Dockyard have a really interesting display in their museum on the Home Guard stationed there.

malcolmharrison

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 10:26:56 »
My name is Malcolm Harrison and I was born and bred in the Medway Towns, Kent, although I now live in Lancashire. My siblings and mother still live Medway.

My late father, Geoffrey Philip Harrison, and I both served in Chatham Dockyard, but at different times. I was in the Dockyard Offices from 1978 right up to closure in 1983.

During WWII my father was an apprentice marine engineer in the dockyard by day, and at night he was on the Lines as part of a team firing AA rockets. He passed away in 2006 but he told me several humorous stories about his time during WWII, and I believe that he was in the Chatham Home Guard. One of the things he told me about was drilling with a broom handle for a rifle! He went to Egypt later on in the war. I would be interested to hear from anyone who knew him. My father was also a good footballer and played for the dockyard (at Chatham and in Egypt), Sittingbourne Athletic, Sheppey Utd and Milton Rovers. He knew the Hales family, butchers in Rainham, who were a well known footballing family. If anyone is interested I have a small collection of football photos and dockyard personnel pictures from Egypt. His best friends included Dennis Sullivan and Billy Male/Males

My grandfather, Henry Percy Miles Harrison, was a driller in the Dockyard up to his death in 1944. I would be pleased to hear from anyone who knew him, especially if they have any photographs of him. I was not born until 1948, and unfortunately I do not even know what he looked like, which is a great shame.  He was born in 1891, in Gorleston, Norfolk, and Dad said he played football for Gorleston FC. His wife was Ellen Eliza (Nellie), and she died in 1942. A family myth is that she was a local councillor but I can find no record of this - yet! Dad and all the Harrison family lived in the Seaview Road/Virginia Road areas of Gillingham in the thirties and forties.

I am also a genealogist and I would appreciate any help, advice comments and stories from others on here.

Kind regards

Malcolm Harrison

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 29
Chatham Dockyard Home Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 17:20:00 »
31st (Chatham Dockyard) Battalion. The largest single battalion in Kent.

The attached photo is of the Dockyard Battalion C1943. I am not a military expert, but I believe there were two companies? If so I do not know which one this is. The gentleman indicated was my Grandfather, Ernie Barnard. The others I do not know, but it may be useful for family history buffs?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines