News: In 1834 a 13 metre long Iguanadon fossil was found in Queen’s Road in Maidstone
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tunnels at Sheerness rifle range.  (Read 6306 times)

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
Re: Tunnels at Sheerness rifle range.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 12:04:03 »
The  'Covered Way' ... a brick wall facing the range, a metal roof supported by the wall and by metal 'pillars'  on the seaward side ... by no means a tunnel!

Sorry, John38, I didn't express myself all that clearly. It wasn't a question of fact, whether the sheltered walk actually was a tunnel or not, but if it was called a tunnel by some people.

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 12:41:15 »
There was also the Firing Range alongside the canal bank at the sea end which was the Naval field. We would watch them firing (while we should really have been doing P.E. in the Tech field opposite).
We would also sneak across to the canal and search for any " lost ammo " to extract the cordite ................but that is another story !!!
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 11:06:01 »
Is this area near the Barton's Point Coastal Park? I've never visited the area but I've been playing around with the 'Maps' app on my tablet pc and looking at the street views. It makes me think of Romney Marsh behind the Dymchurch Wall (below the high tide level).

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 421
    • Sheppey History
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 21:33:13 »
The wall with the slots is the remains of the Ravelin wall, a small portion of which still exists to the right as you leave Sheerness heading into Blue town just before the bridge.  This site was the site of a Victorian Gun Battery called the Ravelin Battery and beside it were barrage balloons.

I don't think it could be confused as a rifle range. 

The covered way is the only "tunnel" near Barton Point, the ground is very marshy behind it.  On the other side of the canal is Barton Point Coastal Battery, this had tunnels and rooms below the gun emplacements.  There are plans on the forum.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 15:20:17 »
You were correct CDP, there used to be a small zoo near where Tesco's is.  I never saw it personally, but my mother had a photo that had been taken towards the end of the War I think.  I can remember her talking about it and seeing the photo of a lion in a cage.  I've got a vague recollection that there was a wall nearby with holes in, which looked like rifle slots.  Could be wrong though.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

John38

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:21:45 »
ZOO? .............. A lot happened since 1959 then!  :)

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 19:47:22 »
Thinks !!!

The zoo, on the site of Tesco, had very large tunnels or walk throughs? built into the bank (where the lions were kept?), and this was very close to the gun emplacements or rifle slots, which are still there. Could be mistaken for a rifle range?

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 19:39:28 »
Agree with John 38. The entrance to the covered way was a few feet from the end of the canal.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 77
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 15:08:50 »
I used to cycle not only along the covered way but also sometimes on top of it.Checking google earth at least half of it is still there

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=16755.msg139240#msg139240
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

John38

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 10:58:37 »
The  'Covered Way' I remember well. it was basically a brick wall facing the range, a metal roof supported by the wall and by metal 'pillars'  on the seaward side. It dog-legged here and there, and I remember it being a mile or so long - maybe wrong though - and ending near the White House at the start of Minster Cliffs having started not that far from ship-on-Shore. It's 60 years ago though so I suspect my memory of it  might be dodgy ... by no means a tunnel!

Offline Sylvaticus

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 10:20:36 »
Was the sheltered public walkway called a tunnel? Too long ago to remember.

Offline colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Tunnels at Sheerness rifle range.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 23:31:02 »
I read recently that there are tunnels at or near the rifle range in Sheerness. I never heard of this until now, does anyone know anything about any tunnels?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines