News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old outdoor swimming pool in Sheerness 50s  (Read 3342 times)

Online colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
Re: Old outdoor swimming pool in Sheerness 50s
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 17:26:34 »
No trace of it now Johnwalker, the swimming pool has an covered one since the 1980s or late 1970s.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:39:01 »
Out of interest - is it still there or is there any trace of it?

John38

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:06:14 »
That's the one! Remember it well. Once a person diving from the high-board collided with one diving from a lower-board causing a serious accident. The observation windows you can see were along the esplanade.

The dockyard pool was indoors and heated - our hair would freeze as we cycled home from swimming in there.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 00:44:51 »
Thanks everyone

That's very likely to be it.  It seemed very high to me at the time but I was only about 6 years old.  I just have a faint recollection of seeing my Dad up there.  He hesitated for a few seconds but the dive went wrong.  I just remember him coming over to my Mum and I and he was in pain from his ear.

I will forward photo to my brother.

Thanks again

JW

Online colin haggart

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 00:05:22 »
I have borrowed this photo of the Sheerness swimming from Trevor Edwards site. Just for you Johnwalker. Is this the one you mean?

Offline CDP

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 86
    • SHEERNESS/SHEPPEY/PENNEY
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 21:04:22 »
Look at Education > " Teaching at the Sheerness Tech " > page 8 , there is a photo of the Swimming pool with its high diving platform.
The solution to every problem is a.) time , or  b.) another problem.

Offline busyglen

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 69
    • Westminster Village
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 18:36:10 »
The only one I can think of (apart from the one on the sea-front) was the Dockyard Swimming Pool.  When I was about eight or nine, and was at Rose St. Primary School, I can remember that we were taken to the Dockyard Pool to learn to swim.  As I remember, the diving boards seemed very high at that time, although it could have been because I was nearer the ground at that age!!   Also the lower end of the pool was quite deep as it came up to my neck....suggesting that the other end must have been deep also in order to give the necessary depth for a high dive.

However, I do remember that some time later, our swimming teacher, Miss Fray's brother was killed in an accident in the pool when another person was diving off one board and collided with him diving off another.  I'm pretty certain that this could be the pool you are referring to.
A smile is a curve that straightens things out.

Offline JohnWalker

• Appreciation 55
    • My Portfolio
Old outdoor swimming pool in Sheerness 50s
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 18:19:33 »
Do any of you Sheppey experts know of an old outdoor swimming pool on Sheppey that had a high dive platform at one end.

In the late 50s my late Dad dived off one and ended up with a perforated eardrum.  My brother is convinced it was on a day out to somewhere on Sheppey and probably Sheerness.

Regards
JW

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines