News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Sittingbourne Swimming Bath and Gymnasium, "The Butts"  (Read 1882 times)

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
Re: The Sittingbourne Swimming Bath and Gymnasium, "The Butts"
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:16 »
There are posts and photos on this face book forum. :)

The ME Sittingbourne Post Code Group

Offline TonyYoung

• Appreciation 11
  • Borden Lab, WARC 1971-1976
The Sittingbourne Swimming Bath and Gymnasium, "The Butts"
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:31 »
Does anyone have any pictures from the Sittingbourne Swimming Pool?
I was prompted by JohnWallker's query about Sheerness.

I remember in the 50's and 60's it was always referred to as 'The Butts' but never understood why (and still do not understand)

I learned to swim there in the early 60's under Mr McClaren and ended up swimming in the Cub and Scout Swimming Galas later in the 60's - representing 5th Sittingbourne Scouts in the breast stroke. (My Mum and Dad with the Rover Scouts were the main organisers!)

I have many fond memories of high chlorine smells and a shallow end of 3ft and I think a deep end of 6 or 7ft with a spring board and a high board.

I also remember when I started at Borden Grammar we used to have one session a week there as a class. On the first occasion one boy said he could swim, jumped in the deep end and sank - Mr McClaren had to pull him out - the boy had only ever swum in the sea and in 'fresh' water had no buoyancy (we all thought it was hilarious, of course)

From 1908 Sittingbourne Directory:
'The Sittingbourne Swimming Bath and Gymnasium was erected in 1896 by public subscription at a cost of 2,080, of which amount Mr. Frank Lloyd and members of the Lloyd family contributed by far the greater proportion. The buildings, which are situated on the Butts, Sittingbourne, were handed over to the Council in July 1896. The swimming bath is 100 feet long and 22 feet wide and the depth varies from 3ft. 6in. to 7ft.  There are also bathrooms fitted with hot and cold baths, two baths being allotted for females.

The swimming bath is open from April 13th to October 12th, and the hours of opening are from 6.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. during April, September, and October, and from 6 a.m. to 9.30 p.m. during May, June, July, and August.  About 23,000 bathers use the baths during the months they are open.'
Life's different upside down

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines