News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aldington Ragstone Quarry  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
Re: Aldington Ragstone Quarry
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 18:12:17 »
The shafts were easily demounted  and stored under the engine for stationary work. I don't think it is a chain drive engine as they normally had steel wheels. The Artillery wheels I have seen on pics of other early portables. It may not even be an Aveling, but as he was the local builder of engines then I would be surprised if it was not.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 13:20:54 »
Sentinel S4, in grandarog`s original photo do you think the engine could be an early Aveling chain drive engine? My reasoning is the flywheel is at the front and no there are apparent shafts or towbar visible that would have been necessary if it was a portable
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 06:54:09 »
Thank you very much for taking the time to obtain these then post them. They certainly are interesting. Those rails look very light (15 or 20lb yard) but look about 4' 8 1/2" gauge. Very interested in the tanks, the first one looks like the saddle tank from a locomotive, inverted and set on wheels, road wheels at that. The rest of the tanks are very substantial, and well built in. I think I'm going to have to take a wander down there sometime.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

ljphil78

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 23:10:22 »
First off we have the tracks

which head off straight for this

if you follow the wall along you find this thing

which appears to be on wheels but is coupled to this

which sit next to this

Just to clarify the tank in the last picture sits to the left of the thing on wheels and the two round tanks are located behind both

ljphil78

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 22:13:37 »
I think the newspaper extract I posted refers to an area that is now a housing development (Quarry Wood) and not the quarry in the original post.
Yes that would make sense as Quarry wood was the entrance road to Land fill site.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 18:24:02 »
I think the newspaper extract I posted refers to an area that is now a housing development (Quarry Wood) and not the quarry in the original post.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 49
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 14:09:48 »
Extract from the Folkstone, Hythe, Sandgate and Cheriton Herald, 4 May, 1912.

The Manufacture of Tar Paving
A visit to the works of Messrs Earl at Aldington

.... So to see the macadam in its native haunts a journey was made to Aldington.  Here, on the Smeeth side of the highway, we first of all visited the quarries from which the Kentish Rag is extracted, for the firm quarry their own stone.  Gangs of men were at work with their crowbar, pick and shovel, busily engaged in winning from the earth at various depths, and transporting to bank masses of the celebrated Kentish Rag.  There were men who had grown old in the service of the firm, and young men, their decendants, merrily working away, with the result that serious inroads have been made in the twenty or thirty acres which comprise the quarry.  Huge stacks of stone were piled with geometrical precision ready for transport to the crusher, or for delivery by traction engine and truck to road authorities who break up their own material.  But it is the tar macadam that claims our attention, so we pass on to the stone crusher, which occupies the higher portion of the area from which we watch a skip run down on a light railway track some 200 yards to the store of stone.  Here it is quickly filled, and almost as rapidly drawn up to the platform, at the base of which a gigantic mill is seen in operation.  This is fed with blocks of Kentish Rag just as they come out of the earth.....

The Messrs Earl would appear to be the brothers William (b c1855) & Edward (b c1858) Earl.  In 1919 KCC purchased a quarry works in Aldington but no evidence that it is the same one.

ljphil78

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:31 »
I've only got my camera phone with me today, but I will try and grab a couple of photos on the way home. The engine/boiler is located behind a retaining wall so is lower than where the track was.

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:18:13 »
I have no idea on the engine but she is very old, she is on artillery wheels and that was not done much after 1860. Possibly an early Aveling, he was a local man after all. Certainly belted to the stone crusher, there looks to be a rail in the mid ground outside the hut. A wonderful picture, thanks for posting Grandarog. There will be an update on the Ankle of Doom soon, but still quite sane (just).

S4.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:44:21 »
N A nice image that. I don't know the make of the portable engine (maybe Sentinal S4 can help there) but it appears to be belted up to a stone crusher on the left of the picture
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 101
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:51 »
Morning S4.
Hope you are not going stir crazy with your foot .
Just to start you drooling, here`s an old picture. I think the Quarry is by Callywell Lane.
If you do Google Images there may be more pics.  :) :) :)

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 21:11:36 »
I need to know more about this track please. A location if possible would be good. I used to work in the Yard across from the Pub when it was owned by Lux Traffic Controlls in the late 1990's.

S4.

ljphil78

Aldington Ragstone Quarry
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 20:50:10 »
I spent most of my primary and secondary school years growing up in Aldington and one of the places we used play was the old quarry off of Callywell lane. I've always been keen to find out some history of the site.
 I returned to the site recently for a little nose around and was surprised how little things have changed. My biggest memory was the train, as we knew it then, now I think it may be an old steam boiler, I was surprised to find it still there although it didn't look as impressive today as it had done to my young eyes. The reason we called it a train was because of the railway tracks that occasionally poked through the mud on the main pathway through the site.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines