News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWI Tanks in Kent  (Read 52883 times)

Offline LenP

• Appreciation 23
Re: WWI Tanks in Kent
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 20:39:12 »
Whereabouts is this located?

Philio81

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 14:53:02 »
There i 2 cameras as far as i know. One at the back of the tank and one on a pole infront of the tank. Had a look whilst i was in town earlyer and all the pen has been removed round the back of it you can see what looks like chipped of paint from where someones been climbing on but no other damage that i can see

Philio81

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 20:30:33 »
Really annoys me this does that poor old tank always seems to get vandalised. Don't think some people realise how lucky we are to have it in our town............. stupid kids probably don't even know any history passed the last time they mugged someone or vandalised something. Might as well give it to a museum at least it wont get damaged or vandalised anymore

Offline BenG

• Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 14:08:39 »
Vandals have defaced a World War One memorial tank, causing damage put at hundreds of pounds, police said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7989276.stm

Why, what do they gain out of doing that?  ??? >:( >:(

Philio81

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 19:03:55 »
Yes the ones with mg's were the females. Done a bit of trawling the net and apparently all the tanks presented to the towns were female. Unfortunatly in 1929 the insides and back of the Ashford tank were removed and an electricity sub station built inside it. But this was what saved it from being cut up in the war. !!!! Heres the site i found the info on. http://www.ashford.gov.uk/about_the_borough/history_and_heritage/the_tank.aspx  ;D

seafordpete

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 16:24:50 »
There were 2 basic types one with MGs only as at Ashford, the other with a heavier gun. Known as Male & Female, I'm guessing the MG version was Female

Philio81

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 13:49:06 »
Heres some pics of the one at Ashford

Offline bromptonboy

• Appreciation 34
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 13:11:26 »
During WW1 when the War Department decided heavier guns were needed in the new 'tanks' the guns were supplied from out-of-date stocks of Admiralty stores. To train the soldiers in the use and maintenance of the naval guns the RN Gunnery schools at Chatham, Portsmouth and Plymouth ran training courses. When the war ended, as a mark of gratitude the Army presented each of the Naval Gunnery Schools with a tank.

In 1940 when Britain faced invasion, the naval mechanics at Chatham decided to get the Chatham Trophy Tank up and running as part of the local defences! After much work they managed to get it just about running. It managed to splutter along towards the gateway into the barracks where it completely died. It was left where it 'died' as an impromptue pill-box. I assume it was cut-up for salvage once the invasion scare had passed. However, the Portsmouth Trophy Tank has survived as is now displayed in the Tank Museum at Bovington.

seafordpete

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:42 »
They also had a gun on display in the Castle gardens once to...not sure what type it was though.

http://grumpystumpy.com/england/kent/Rochester/pages/Rochester,1922_jpg.htm

That was a Crimean gun on an iron carriage same as the one in Maidstone High St and the Saluting guns at Shheerness shown on this forum a month or so back

merc

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 19:56:16 »
They also had a gun on display in the Castle gardens once to...not sure what type it was though.

http://grumpystumpy.com/england/kent/Rochester/pages/Rochester,1922_jpg.htm

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 19:18:52 »
The Government gave away over four-hundred tanks after the first world war as gifts to various towns and cities for thier help in the war effort.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline kyn

• Administrator
  • Established Member
  • Appreciation 419
    • Sheppey History
WWI Tanks in Kent
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 18:59:58 »
The parade along the Esplanade to the castle gardens on 2nd August 1919.

The tank was officially presented to the city by Maj-Gen, Sir H Mullaly.

The tank was apparently removed in 1952 and coveyed by transporter to a village near Deal

Both pictures can be found at the Guildhall Museum, Rochester.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines