News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWI Tanks in Kent  (Read 52743 times)

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 8
Re: WWI Tanks in Kent
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2017, 17:23:00 »
S4, the estimate from Knowles only relates to sections 1,2 & 5. The note written across the estimate says that he is unable to carry out the traction of the tank, and he and others think that the expensive iron railings will not be required.

I see that posts and chain are added along the Green in 1921. It is still so defined. The very easily identifiable windows in the old photo are the Lion Hotel, and a quick GSV along the road finds that a small steam waggon could still get water in the same place. Thanks for pointing that out, I had missed the detail, most interesting.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 165
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2017, 19:27:16 »
On a side note. The pic of the tank at Farningham seems to have a Steam Waggon of some sort taking water from the river. I do love these old pictures for the background detail. However it seems that the six foot high fence is missing from around the tank, this was specified by the Parish Council, down to the locks that had to be fitted.

S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2017, 23:15:40 »
In a previous post LenP posted a photo of the Folkestone tank being cut up. We can now give a date.

SOLD AS SCRAP IRON

Folkestone War Souvenirs

London, Wednesday:-
(7 April 1937) Deciding to sell the town's war souvenirs as scrap iron, Folkestone Council accepted 22/6 per ton for a British tank, a field gun and a German howitzer, which was presented to it by the National War Savings Committee in recognition of the town's support of the war loans.
The "News Chronicle," in a leader, says: "So memorials of the war to end war, set up so proudly, now go back into the melting pot to help in the preparations for the next war."

22 shillings 6 pence = 1. 12 1/2 pence.
Don't Let the Devil Ride Chris and Abby

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2016, 18:35:18 »
The Farningham tank.
Acquiring and installing the tank was a complicated affair as shown in Farningham Parish Council minutes.
Link with photo http://www.felhs.org.uk/Ww1/50.%20THE%20FARNINGHAM%20TANK%20WAR%20TROPHY.PDF 804 KB.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2015, 17:17:00 »
Hythe's presentation tank and the German gun beside it were broken up in April 1937 and sold as scrap at 3 per ton.

For details of what is missing from the Ashford tank, ie the interior.

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/mk4_walkaround.htm
Broken link, here's the new one. http://youtube.com/watch?v=E3WeDtoyyOw

While looking for Scammel and Pickfords images on a different thread, I came across this link for a WW1 tank being trailered somewhere without its guns: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/transport/article3619667.ece
The photo was taken at Woolwich 22 June 1932.

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2013, 13:16:18 »
While looking for Scammel and Pickfords images on a different thread, I came across this link for a WW1 tank being trailered somewhere without its guns: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/transport/article3619667.ece

S/9134

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2012, 16:49:48 »
Dear All,
           does anyone have a picture of the Tank that was situated at the road junction of London Road outside the General Post Office Building. I understand that it was there up until the beginning of the Second World War.
                               Kind regards,
                                                     S/9134 From Tunbridge Wells. Kent

Offline Andrew401968

• Appreciation 7
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2012, 20:11:52 »
Just out interest regarding the WWI tanks, when I was doing some research a Bovington, I either read or was told by David Fletcher (Librarian at Bovington and Author) that the only reason the WWI tank exhibits survived the scrap drive in WW2 was because the Museum staff were able postition them at local junctions and justifiy there exclusion from the scrap drive as being useful for local defence as static defence points. I know one was used as a target, you can see the holes. Unfortunately, many exhibits where scrapped if they could not be used in a similiar manner or for training.

John Thomas

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2012, 11:48:45 »
I can remember a WW1 tank being situated in Rochester Castle Gardens which we used to play on.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2011, 17:51:54 »
That's a great photo. I guess that the building behind is the barracks that once stood in the castle until they were bombed in WW2.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline keniff

• Appreciation 17
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 15:45:29 »
In the photo of the Deal tank, you can see a field gun poking out from behind it.
Deal again, and here is a picture of the field gun with a tank poking out from behind !!

Black Beauty - There's a dark horse

Offline Far away

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 14:44:29 »
In the Hythe picture with the field gun, is that field gun an 18 pounder? I seem to remember from somewhere that many WW1 18 pounders were converted to 25 pounders.

Although I used to live in Ashford, and remember the tank well - and fondly, these days I am geographically closer to those used as memorials in Ukraine.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 33
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 17:59:49 »
In the photo of the Deal tank, you can see a field gun poking out from behind it.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

Offline JohnG

• Appreciation 33
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 15:33:49 »
Walmer used to have a field gun, it used to stand on the triangle of grass by the pedestrian crossing at the Walmer end of the Strand.  JohnG

dave

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:51 »

Any idea of the village near Deal that was home to the tank? Is it still about?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines