News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Pegwell Bay shipwreck?  (Read 9281 times)

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
Re: Pegwell Bay shipwreck?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 22:06:29 »
I read of one 15th C. wreck that was having sand build up around it and contributing to the silting of Sandwich Haven.Apparently Pepperness(Shellness)was in the area of what is now New Downs Farm in medieval times going by a map in 'History of Medieval Sandwich' and it's still growing.

Offline davpott

• Appreciation 46
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 20:23:46 »
There are two maybe three beached sailing ships in St George's, Bermuda. Having taken a look over them we asked a local about them and we were told that they had been beached during WWII as they were too vulnerable to U-boat attacks.

Perhaps this vessel was something similar as it must have occurred everywhere.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 23:10:02 »
Thanks Howard,just shows it could be a shipping hazard if you got that close.I've just recalled how our little gang was walking along the sands there and Alex stepped on a bit that turned out to be mud of some sort and we had quite a job to free his shoes.

Offline howard

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 18:46:04 »
The 4WD vehicle is a Vauxhall. I believe it was dumped there by joy riders. I went alongside it in my boat a few years ago but there was nobody on board!

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 17:48:36 »
No idea myself.Another small wreck comes to mind at Shellness.I remember seeing it in the early 1960s and mostly made of metal slowly being covered in sand and mud.The 4x4 must be a risk to small ships where it's located.The book also mentioned how much the Stour's channel moves about across Pegwell Bay. 

Offline CELOCANT

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 18:01:43 »
I think a couple of Landrovers have be 'caught-out' on the soft sand in the past, however, I do not know of a new found historical wreck.
A living fossil

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 14:06:59 »
I've been looking at a Yachtman's guide to kentish waters in our library.It shows an unlit buoy in the river near Shellness and the text mentions a newly discovered historical wreck.Also i could see a 4x4 on the chart.Anyone know about the wreck and 4x4?The book is pretty recent as it mentions the demolition of the Richborough Power Station chimney and cooling towers and what navigation marks have to be used instead.

Offline CELOCANT

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 11:40:46 »

The blockship was the drifter Harvest Moon of 72grt and built in 1904. She was purchased by the Admiralty in December 1939 and sunk as a blockship 9.9.1940. Last time I looked (many years ago) there were some remains still showing out of the mud.
A living fossil

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 16:03:30 »
During WW2 the mouth of the River Stour was sealed with block ships to stop enemy craft. The block ships were removed later on in the war when construction of Mulberry harbour parts were being made at the Port.

Offline Alastair

• Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 14:21:17 »
By the shape it looks like a barge rather than a boat but, given the proportion of the barge to the road it looks extremly large.
Agree with doug, I remember the council tip at Pegwell and wouldn't go near the 'Pegwell PicnicSite' or whatever it's called now. Someone who lived in the houses that looked on to the dump said they could see the whole thing moving at night - rats. That would quite put me off my fish paste sandwiches.

Alastair

Offline doug

• Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 20:08:59 »
That picture would appear to be in the area for the nature reserve, that area was the council tip in the 1960s. Take what you like in, no you can`t dump that here mate, health and safety no such thing. All the concerns about pollution in the bay and everybody forgets this festering area of toxic waste.

Martin A

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 23:22:18 »
I agree with Grandarog that the 1940 shot looks like shadow, but shadow over a pond or hole could be what was left after a wreck had been deteriorated. It really is a good ship shaped outline.
I see from the other pages that it was the old municipal dumping ground after 1960.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 27
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 22:55:22 »
Up the R.Stour, opposite Richborough Port Quay, are two wooden barges slowly being submerged in the mud of the saltings. I have a photo of the site on the Forum. The Google Earth picture looks similar to Martin A's photos. I expect the barges I know were abandoned there after WW1.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 104
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 22:41:36 »
That hole on the 1940 pic looks more like a shadow .

Martin A

Pegwell Bay shipwreck?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 21:00:44 »
Can anyone tell me if this picture from 1960 was an old shipwreck?
It certainly looks the right shape and appears as though it was a hole in the 1940s pictures.
The whole area seems to have been filled in since the 60s. Was there anything dug up before hand?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines