News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Can you identify this VAD hospital - New Zealand troops  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Longpockets

• Appreciation 12
Re: Can you identify this VAD hospital - New Zealand troops
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 19:15:17 »

If it still could be France try contacting Hazel Basford here - http://www.kentvad.org/

She is very knowledgeable about VAD Hospitals

This may help also - http://www.kentvad.org/pages/research-tips.html

zumiweb

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 13:41:42 »
Hello Grandarog and Conan, thanks for the replies, and I only had the briefest information - my enquirer thought it was in Kent, but of course the postcard could indeed have been from the first hospital before repatriation to a convalescent setting. And yes, I'm sure there were dozens of identical structures put up in a hurry to a pattern by the war department (or whatever it was at the time). Like I said, a long shot! Thanks for the input though.

Mark.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 23:48:08 »
Here's the pictures, not exactly the same I must admit but similar and a lot of the detail is lost above the false ceiling.

And this one shows the original timber roof, this was originally covered with a layer of corrugated iron that lasted until about ten years ago when it was replaced with more modern materials. Not bad for a roof that's at least 80 years old.

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 76
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 19:56:15 »
That sort of tie bar roof design was common across the country. In my village in Wiltshire the social club originally was a big hut on Salisbury plain and was donated in the 20s. The roof is still in its original form and is exactly the same as the one shown. I'll photograph it and post a copy.
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 15:57:50 »
Are you sure it is in Kent. The construction of the roof and the windows suggest a Field Hospital in France.

For example, here is a photo of the patients and nurses in Ward E of the 32nd Stationary Hospital at Wimereux. Pas de Calais, France.

zumiweb

Can you identify this VAD hospital - New Zealand troops
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 13:50:03 »
A long shot (again), but I have been asked by a WW1 soldier's grand-daughter if there is any prospect of identifying the Kent VAD hospital pictured. Her grandfather emigrated in 1910, coming back to Europe only to be shot in the knee and hospitalised.

Suggestions very welcome!

Thanks for looking,
Mark.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines