News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: dockyard entrance  (Read 3993 times)

Offline cliveh

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 146
    • Kent's Historical Sites
Re: dockyard entrance
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 15:47:52 »
July 2015

cliveh

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 14:44:24 »
Nice article and info about one at Chatham on this link :-http://www.4d-studio.co.uk/the-bell-mast-at-chatham-historic-monument-and-waymark/  :)

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 11:13:16 »
Thanks for that information chaps, the naval equivalent of the factory hooter eh?
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline The Sheppey Kingmaker

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 00:35:09 »
The tall structure in the picture was called a (Muster) Bell Post there were two in the Dockyard, the other one was at the South Gate (ex Factory Gate).

Today there are two surviving at Chatham Dockyard, one near the roundabout between the exit to the Historic Dockyard and the exit to the Cinema/Shopping Centre. The other one is inside the Historic Dockyard near the Main Gate.                                                               

There is another at Maurice Yard, HMNB Devonport.

I think these three are the only surviving examples in the world of what was once a common sight in Dockyards.

Offline sheppey_bottles

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 46
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 20:51:38 »
I think that structure had a bell at the top to let the workers know it was time for work.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 74
dockyard entrance
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 20:31:39 »
I don't think I've put this one up before. What is the tall structure by the figure head to right of picture?

To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines