News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved  (Read 2622 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 3
    • The Upchurch Collection
Re: Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:35:21 »
Do we know anything more about his relations in Queensland?

Thx

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 218
Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 18:07:33 »
      'In the Litchfield I was wrecked, upon the Barb'ry shore
      And 17 months I toiled in slav'ry
      I toiled with many more.'

Inscription on Michael Greenwood's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Faversham.

Michael Greenwood, born 1731, Died 1812.
Press-ganged in Faversham Market Place one evening in 1748.

He was serving aboard HMS Lichfield, a 50-gun 4th rate, when, on the 28th November 1758, she foundered in a storm off the notorious 'Barbary Coast' of Morocco. Of the ships crew of 350, 220 survived. At the same time two other ships were wrecked, leaving a total of 338 survivors including those of the Lichfield.

Captured by the Moors, the men spent 17 months as slaves, put to tasks such as road-building. During this time Greenwood managed to keep a detailed diary.
Long drawn-out negotiations went on between Britain and their captors, and eventually the men were ransomed for 225,000 pieces-of-eight. They arrived back in England in August 1760.
Michael Greenwood returned to Faversham, where he married and worked as an oyster dredger. His 16th century house still survives in Faversham's Abbey Street.
His diary is in the possession of his descendants living in Queensland, Australia.
Recently they have had the inscription on his headstone restored.

More on the loss of HMS Lichfield can be found in Remarkable Shipwrecks, published 1813, pages 109-119. Free e-book.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines