News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved  (Read 4933 times)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
    • The Upchurch Collection
Re: Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 12:21:16 »
Great to hear.you have made contact with a descendant. Look forward to the finished article now things are coming to plan. :) :)

Dear Team:

With regard the story of Michael Greenwood and been press-ganged from Faversham. Has anyone heard that two boys were press ganged at the same time, one Greenwood and one a school chum of his?

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Upchurch in old picture postcards.
Otterham Kent - Your Heritage.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 15:26:48 »
Great to hear.you have made contact with a descendant. Look forward to the finished article now things are coming to plan. :) :)

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 14:06:20 »
Grandarog:

Thank you. I made contact with Donald Franklyn Harris's ,today in Queensland. It was Donald`s father, Edgar that wrote about Michael Greenwood. He confirmed the family have the Greenwood diary and all Michael Greenwood's personal effects, including a finger bone.  They also tell of a " school friend" abducted at the same time as Michael Greenwood from Market Square. More details are to follow and photographs. Some days, it all comes together.  Thank you again for your help.

Mike

Mike, a bit more padding.

Cannot find date of departure from UK for Australia for Edgar but must have been before 1893.

He married Flora Brentnall on 22 March 1893 in Queensland . He is shown at various addresses in       
        Queensland, up to his death, on the electoral rolls.
        2 Children of Edgar and Flora. Eric Brentnall Harris Bn 30 Jun 1896 Died 24 Nov 1918
        and Donald Franklyn Harris Bn 30 May 1901 Married Doris Briggs 24 Nov 1918. No children found.

Flora outlived Edgar she died 3 February 1951.Her Father is shown as Frederick Thomas
        Brentnall.and Mother Elizabeth Nee Watson. They were married in Paddington District New South
        Wales 1867.
        I cannot find a birth for Flora but according to her funeral record she was born 1869.The only birth
       shown to FTB and EW is Charlotte A  Bn  1871.Windsor District New South Wales.So presume
       Flora's birth wasn't registered (or has not been transcribed)
             After Edgars death Flora is shown as Flora Brentnall Harris on Electoral rolls.

Edgar is shown alone aboard SS Maunganui bound for San Francisco as "Tourist for Pleasure "
         Age 74  Retired.   Arriving San Francisco August 1928.

Source FMP .                                                       Regards Roger.

Mike Gunnill

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 23:08:31 »
Mike, a bit more padding.

Cannot find date of departure from UK for Australia for Edgar but must have been before 1893.

He married Flora Brentnall on 22 March 1893 in Queensland . He is shown at various addresses in       
        Queensland, up to his death, on the electoral rolls.
        2 Children of Edgar and Flora. Eric Brentnall Harris Bn 30 Jun 1896 Died 24 Nov 1918
        and Donald Franklyn Harris Bn 30 May 1901 Married Doris Briggs 24 Nov 1918. No children found.

Flora outlived Edgar she died 3 February 1951.Her Father is shown as Frederick Thomas
        Brentnall.and Mother Elizabeth Nee Watson. They were married in Paddington District New South
        Wales 1867.
        I cannot find a birth for Flora but according to her funeral record she was born 1869.The only birth
       shown to FTB and EW is Charlotte A  Bn  1871.Windsor District New South Wales.So presume
       Flora's birth wasn't registered (or has not been transcribed)
             After Edgars death Flora is shown as Flora Brentnall Harris on Electoral rolls.

Edgar is shown alone aboard SS Maunganui bound for San Francisco as "Tourist for Pleasure "
         Age 74  Retired.   Arriving San Francisco August 1928.

Source FMP .                                                       Regards Roger.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 17:51:24 »

Grandarog:

Thank you it helps a great deal. The info you have wasn't available on my system, I am grateful.

Mike

Mike, on 1871 Census.

Edgar B Harris is shown living with his Parents George 62 Grocer and China Dealer and Susannah Harris (nee Bridal) 53 at 7 Court Street .Faversham
            With 4 siblings shown as, Clara 19 School Teacher, Frank B 18, Solicitors Clerk. Edith S 14 & Gertrude E 13, as Scholars
  Mary Harris 59, Sister, is shown as a Boarder
         Edgar B is shown as a Grocers Assistant age 16 bn in Faversham as were all the children.

There is an Edgar B Harris Cmml Clerk. Born 1855 aboard ship "Nairnshire" to Sydney Australia 4 Mar 1899 accompanied by (looks like ) Flora Harris. They are the only passengers.
I think I read that EBH was in Aus. when the diary was published as The Barbary Rovers in 1927.

Death, Queensland, Australia 1933   B22850   Edgar Bridal Harris Son of George and Susannah.

Source FMP
Hope this helps.

Mike Gunnill

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 14:28:33 »
 Mike, on 1871 Census.

Edgar B Harris is shown living with his Parents George 62 Grocer and China Dealer and Susannah Harris (nee Bridal) 53 at 7 Court Street .Faversham
            With 4 siblings shown as, Clara 19 School Teacher, Frank B 18, Solicitors Clerk. Edith S 14 & Gertrude E 13, as Scholars
  Mary Harris 59, Sister, is shown as a Boarder
         Edgar B is shown as a Grocers Assistant age 16 bn in Faversham as were all the children.

There is an Edgar B Harris Cmml Clerk. Born 1855 aboard ship "Nairnshire" to Sydney Australia 4 Mar 1899 accompanied by (looks like ) Flora Harris. They are the only passengers.
I think I read that EBH was in Aus. when the diary was published as The Barbary Rovers in 1927.

Death, Queensland, Australia 1933   B22850   Edgar Bridal Harris Son of George and Susannah.

Source FMP
Hope this helps.

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:00:13 »
After a great deal of time searching, I found the grave of Michael Greenwood.  The story about the headstone been renovated by relations can't be true because, to be honest, the gravestone doesn' t look as if it has been touched since his death in 1812.  There is a reference to the grave in 1912, when a Faversham relation said the grave was well kept and the lettering well painted. Today it's in a sorry state, it won't be long before the wording will disappear altogether. It's a shame about the lack of renovation.  Does anyone know where the story comes from in 2013 ? " Queensland relations to renovate the grave."

The church confirmed yesterday, it had heard about a possible renovation of Michael Greenwood's grave.  The story seems to have started with a small piece in the Faversham News.  Officials at St Mary's Church, Faversham said they were never approached by anyone to renovate the grave, which wouldn't have been a problem if they were relations.  There is a mention in 1920 of the grave been " kept well and the lettering painted".  A relation Edgar B Harris, the eldest son of George Harris a tradesman from Faversham wrote several items for various magazines about this time.  He claimed he had the personal effects from Michael Greenwood and was quoting from a hand written diary.

I have tried to locate Edgar B Harris, without any success. Have any members come across this name or that of his father, George Harris?

Thank you
Mike Gunnill

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 103
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 21:09:38 »
After a great deal of time searching, I found the grave of Michael Greenwood.  The story about the headstone been renovated by relations can't be true because, to be honest, the gravestone doesn' t look as if it has been touched since his death in 1812.  There is a reference to the grave in 1912, when a Faversham relation said the grave was well kept and the lettering well painted. Today it's in a sorry state, it won't be long before the wording will disappear altogether. It's a shame about the lack of renovation.  Does anyone know where the story comes from in 2013 ? " Queensland relations to renovate the grave."
Mike Gunnill

Offline mikegunnill

• Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:35:21 »
Do we know anything more about his relations in Queensland?

Thx

Mike
Mike Gunnill

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 224
Michael Greenwood. Press-ganged, Shipwrecked and Enslaved
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 18:07:33 »
      'In the Litchfield I was wrecked, upon the Barb'ry shore
      And 17 months I toiled in slav'ry
      I toiled with many more.'

Inscription on Michael Greenwood's headstone in St Mary's Churchyard, Faversham.

Michael Greenwood, born 1731, Died 1812.
Press-ganged in Faversham Market Place one evening in 1748.

He was serving aboard HMS Lichfield, a 50-gun 4th rate, when, on the 28th November 1758, she foundered in a storm off the notorious 'Barbary Coast' of Morocco. Of the ships crew of 350, 220 survived. At the same time two other ships were wrecked, leaving a total of 338 survivors including those of the Lichfield.

Captured by the Moors, the men spent 17 months as slaves, put to tasks such as road-building. During this time Greenwood managed to keep a detailed diary.
Long drawn-out negotiations went on between Britain and their captors, and eventually the men were ransomed for 225,000 pieces-of-eight. They arrived back in England in August 1760.
Michael Greenwood returned to Faversham, where he married and worked as an oyster dredger. His 16th century house still survives in Faversham's Abbey Street.
His diary is in the possession of his descendants living in Queensland, Australia.
Recently they have had the inscription on his headstone restored.

More on the loss of HMS Lichfield can be found in Remarkable Shipwrecks, published 1813, pages 109-119. Free e-book.
I Wish It Would Rain The Temptations

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines