News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Factory gates with cockerel logo? Medway towns or Swale area?  (Read 3354 times)

Offline mmitch

• Appreciation 11
Re: Factory gates with cockerel logo? Medway towns or Swale area?
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 10:54:56 »
I used to get 'persuaded' by my boss to go in there and pick up some maggots for his aviary birds!
I can see the lady in the shop cheerfully scooping them up from a barrel with a weighted cloth over it to keep them in! They went back firmly sealed in a Tupperware box! I seem to remember they came in a choice of colours....
mmitch.

Offline cmapley

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 20:26:42 »
It was definitely EW Coombs, my father Alan Mapley was the sales manager throughout the seventies.

The company stocked some bird food produced by Sluis in the Netherlands and also produced some food under licence in Strood. Some bird seed like suet balls and millet sprays were packed under Coombs own label.

I believe the factory had previously been either a brewery or soft drinks factory, on the corner of the factory was a former shop. There was also a well at the back of the factory which presumably supplied water for drinks manufacturing.

I believe the Coombs` disappeared in the mid eighties, likewise Sluis has also disappeared as a brand.

Offline Jackie Paper

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 17:02:46 »
Ah! Great spot with that sign, and Frindsbury Road fits in with where I remember. A bit of googling from Sluis and I get EW Coombs of Strood. Glad I wasn't imagining it! Thanks.

Offline ChrisExiledFromStrood

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 20:36:06 »
It wasn't "Sluis" by any chance? Animal feeds place I think, on Frindsbury Hill, Strood.
By chance, I came across the logo above a petfood shop in Haarlem, NL, earlier this year, and was reminded of the Strood one.
My photo is a pretty good match to your sketch:

Offline Jackie Paper

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 23:55:30 »
Maybe something like this?

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 102
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 14:01:56 »
Could have been any Courage's Pub Gates.☺

Offline Jackie Paper

• Appreciation 1
Factory gates with cockerel logo? Medway towns or Swale area?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 12:38:47 »
As a very young kid, I used to love seeing some old-fashioned green wooden gates with a painted cockerel-headed logo. Maybe a letter 'S' or 'C'? Would be circa 1968-1972. Nobody else seems to remember them.

Can't be very specific about location as I had no sense of geography at the time. Seem to remember them being close to the road.

Any ideas? Or did I imagine them?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines