News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hit and Run Raid on Dover and Deal. Sunday 19th March 1916  (Read 3569 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 238
Re: Hit and Run Raid on Dover and Deal. Sunday 19th March 1916
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 21:50:45 »
The seven fatalities of 19th March 1916.


Francis Amos Hall. Age 8.
     Buried Charlton Cemetery Dover.

Jane James. Age 37.
     Buried St Marys Cemetery Dover.

Edith Mary Stoker. Age 23.
     Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

The Dover War Memorial Project has further details of the above, along with a list of civilian injuries and a map of where the bombs fell.

5th Battalion. Royal Fusiliers (City of London) Regiment.

Alfred Greig. Private. Age 30. Died of wounds 20 March 1916.
     Buried St Pancras Cemetery.

Robert H Melville. Private. Age 29. Died of wounds 28 March 1916.
     Buried City of London Cemetery and Crematorium Manor Park.

Frank M Roseberry. Private. Age 18.
     Born Manitoba Canada. Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.

Walter Venables. Private.
     Buried Dover (St James) Cemetery.


  • Established Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1523
  • Appreciation 238
Hit and Run Raid on Dover and Deal. Sunday 19th March 1916
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 00:53:44 »
At 13.50 hrs, three floatplanes of Fliege Absteilung 1 bombed Dover from 5-6,000 ft, releasing twenty-four bombs and causing four military and three civilian deaths,

On Sunday, March 19th, at 1.57 p.m. a big German seaplane, with dove-shaped wings, (the three aircraft involved were a Gotha Ursinus W.D., a Friedrichshafen FF 33b-f, and a Hansa-Brandenburg NW.) suddenly appeared over the Harbour at a height of some 5,000 feet. After dropping bombs in the Admiralty Harbour it dropped three bombs in Northfall Meadow. One of these fell on a hut occupied by men of the 5th Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, and almost all the men in the hut were either killed or seriously injured, four being killed or afterwards dying from injuries, and eleven injured. The guns by this time opened fire, but the aeroplane continued to fly directly over the town, dropping a bomb into the building ground in Castle Place directly behind Mr Webber's shop, 12 Castle Street, and other bombs fell behind 50 Castle Street and in the cooper's yard of Messrs Leney and Co. The next bomb to fall was in Folkestone Road. It hit the tram track and blew in the fronts of the shops opposite St John's Terrace. Miss Edith Stokes, a domestic servant in the employ of Mrs P Hart, of Maison Dieu Road, whose parents lived at 18 Church Road, was cycling to Folkestone and was driven by the force of the explosion into the doorway of Mr Tarrant's shop, No. 131 Folkestone Road. She was dreadfully injured, and died later at the Dover Hospital. A little boy, Francis Hall, aged seven years, of 23 Winchelsea Street, who was on his way to Sunday school, hearing the gunfire, ran back towards home, and his mother, who had come to meet him, saw him killed by this bomb. The seaplane released two more bombs in this neighbourhood, one of which struck 152 Folkestone Road, doing a great deal of damage, and another fell at the rear of 107 Folkestone Road, facing the Ordnance Stores. The bomb just missed the roof gutter, and burst in the back yard, blowing out the back room. Neither of these bombs caused any casualties.

The aeroplane then flew over the Western Heights, dropping two bombs on the grass bank just above Christ Church Schools. The next bomb fell in the back of the workshop of Mr Barwick, in Northampton Street. This one killed Mrs Jane James, a restaurant proprietress of 40 Snargate Street, and very seriously wounded Mrs Maude Lloyd, so that she had to have her right arm amputated, and the left was seriously hurt, and slightly wounding Mrs Florence Collier. Another bomb dropped in the Wellington Dock near to a gunboat, and two more fell into the Commercial Harbour. Whilst this attack was in progress another hostile seaplane of exactly the same type appeared over the Castle, whilst at the same time a small scout machine was seen going up at great speed  from the Swingate Aerodrome to attack the first raider. When well over the town and apparently about to engage the raider, the engines (sic) of the British machine failed, and the machine had to come down, making a safe landing in the field on top of the hill just beyond the Citadel Battery. (Bristol Scout type C, 3039, flown by Flt Lieut G.R.H. Talbot, flying from RNAS Dover, Guston Road.)

The second raider, after dropping some bombs on the Castle, dropped another on the Convent in Eastbrook Place. The convert was crowded with inmates, but, fortunately, the bomb exploded on the roof, and only one of the sisters, Sister Vincent, was injured by glass shattered by the explosion. This raider circled round the centre of the town, dropping a bomb on Mr Hogben's straw store in Church Street, which blew in the roof, one (which did not explode) through the roof of Mr Carder's office in King Street, another struck a bottle store of Messrs Leney and Co.'s mineral water manufactory in Russell Street, completely wrecking the building, another fell in the garden of Castle Hill House, whilst another bomb burst in the trees that grow in the garden at the corner of Woolcomber Street and Trevanion Street. The base of the bomb drove deeply though the asphalt pavement, and pieces of it penetrated the roof of Old St Jame's Church, and did a good deal of damage. The next two bombs fell at East Cliff, one in the front garden of an empty house, the other in the roof of Mr Watson's house, East Cliff, blowing in the roof, whilst three more bombs fell into the sea in front of the waterplane sheds. The raid lasted some fifteen to twenty minutes and seven were killed and about thirty injured.

From Dover and the War. Dover Express, 1919.

The enemy aircraft then flew northeast to attack Deal, where nine bombs were dropped with little damage.

There were 13 defence flights, six from RNAS Dover (Guston Road), three from RNAS Dover (Marine Parade), three from RFC Dover (St Margarets/Swingate) and one from RFC Lympne.
Other aircraft had taken off from Grain, Eastchurch and Westgate in response to a raid on Ramsgate.

A RFC F.E.2b, flown by 2nd Lieut R. Collis with Flight Sgt  A. C. Emery as gunner, had taken off from Lympne at 13.30 hrs. At 8,000ft Collis spotted the Hansa-Brandenburg NW, flying towards Deal. He kept it in sight until it headed east for home, whereupon he then dived on it with Emery opening fire from 150 yards behind. Emery's gunfire damaged the floatplanes cooling system and put one cylinder out of action, as well as wounding the observer, the Zeebrugge station commander no less. The e/a went into a steep right-hand spiral with its engine spouting steam. At this point Collis has problems with his fuel system and lost all contact. The German observer, Oberleutnant-zur-See von Tschirschky, managed to climb onto the wing and repair the radiator with a handkerchief and tape. They mangaged to remain airborne until twenty miles from Ostende. After taxing for a while they were able to get airborne again and return to the German base at Zeebrugge.

Flying from Westgate, in Nieuport 10, No 3964, Flt Cdr Bone, CO of RNAS Detling, had spotted one of the enemy floatplanes that had bombed Dover And Deal. He was able to force it down some 30 miles northeast of the North Foreland, but had to return due to being short of fuel. The enemy machine was assisted by another floatplane and was later towed back to Zeebrugge.


BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines