News: The modern name of Kent is derived from the Brythonic word kantos meaning "rim" or "border", or possibly from a homonymous word kanto "horn, hook"
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.  (Read 11392 times)

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
Re: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 10:41:09 »
This keeps popping up as unread yet any messages added are never added ?
We know that the forum as been closed down because the people asking to run this once great forum have been denied
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 10:26:45 »
Well spoken those men. I feel the less pressure put on Kyn the better. Although it's not vindictive pressure I'm sure from anyone on here. Close it right off Kyn if you want to and be assured we all wish you and yours the very best for the future.
AlanH.

Offline HERB COLLECTOR

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 236
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 23:34:33 »
Hi all.
    As I understand it the reason the forum was closed 25/11/18 was because a fault developed that allowed some posts to be altered by anyone.
To reopen the forum 24/12/18 Kyn had to remove posts made between 15/10/18 and 25/11/18. At the same time many non-active members were removed. Unfortunately members can only post on two topics.

As Bilgerat notes Kyn has a "lot of personal stuff going on right now and doesn't have the time or inclination for the KHF".

I think it is best if we avoid any speculation at this point.
Cable Street The Young'uns

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 17:24:30 »
Hi all,I suppose some one has to say it,this wonderful fourum has to go one way or the other.
We all have our memories of highlights and wity banter over the years,but in all fairness to Kyn and the membership,is it worth going on the way it is,.?my opinion is it would be kinder to close it completely than continue speculating,will it ,won't it ,with all the ramifications of running a thing such as this,Kyn has obeusly reached the end of her tether.lets give the lady a break and call it a day.
Sorry if this offends any one,,it's my opinion honestly held,let's hear your comments ladies and gentalman

Offline Mickleburgh

• Appreciation 9
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 16:10:37 »
I agree. Absolutely the best forum for gaining knowledge about our towns and bringing back those memories. Let's hope Kyn gets over her problems and someone with time and knowledge makes the effort to keep it going and help her out.
If it shuts down entirely in the near future, my best wishes to all.
AlanH.

Echo those sentiments, the forum has been so useful it would be sad to see it just fade away.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 08:47:50 »
I agree. Absolutely the best forum for gaining knowledge about our towns and bringing back those memories. Let's hope Kyn gets over her problems and someone with time and knowledge makes the effort to keep it going and help her out.
If it shuts down entirely in the near future, my best wishes to all.
AlanH.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 06:04:01 »
It is such a shame that this fabulous forum as been left to die
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 22:16:56 »
Alan,

When Kyn put out the call for help in running the forum I was staggered that nobody volunteered. I wrote to her by private message and made my excuses. While I'm reasonable on the computer skills front, at that time I really could not help.

My health deteriorated and I ended up having triple heart bypass surgery last year. I stopped using the forum and it was only out of curiosity that I recently logged on. It is so frustrating that this great forum will just wither and fade. Now I'm (hopefully) on the mend I would offer assistance, but I don't know if its still possible to contact Kyn.

So frustrating! Maybe someone will read this and contact Kyn.

Alec.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 09:33:56 »
Hi Alec. I never got close enough to smell his breath but yes he did have a little "MO". Real weirdo who was definitely deranged. When the sun shone (rarely from memory) he was just as likely to walk us up to the playing fields at Fort Pitt? for some cricket practice.
So many memories I really do wish Kyn well and maybe one day she'll be able, with assistance to, to keep KHF running. If only I was more competent in computing. :(
AlanH. 

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 22:46:34 »
Hi Alec,

The forum is now mainly read-only, apart from two or three threads you can still post in (this one included). This means that if anyone wants to post something, they haven't much choice but to go off-topic, so sorry if this thread has got a bit messed up. It's all a bit frustrating but hopefully it won't remain permanent.

However, getting back on-topic a bit, I saw a St.Mary's ABC van the other day so it looks like they are still going strong.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 18:20:29 »
Hi Smiffy,

I can see you are reading this topic. Its not clear to me if the forum is operating fully or not?

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 18:13:54 »
Hi Alec,
Although slightly younger than you, pretty much academic though at our ages I guess! I too went to Luton School and can well remember Mr Jones, who by my recollection won WW2 on his own and lived at the top of Magpie Hall Road .I particularly remember his fondness for caning miscreants [me] on the hand with disturbing regularity. Mr Sterns was, in my recollection, a gentleman of the old school who rode a motorbike [and sidecar?] which, on occasion, we boys were permitted to kick-start for him. Happy days indeed and I too went to the Match School.

Chas, Mr Stearn was indeed a fine and respected gentleman and teacher. The memory grows dim now but his motorbike was a BSA Bantam although I don't remember it having a side car. Maybe you are right!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 18:10:09 »
Hi Alec,
................I used to frequent St Mary's boxing Club in Luton where Barry Ludlow taught us and I was also involved with the Theatre Royal, Chatham alongside Alec Ludlow who was formerly of Chatham but at that time resided in Riverhead by Sevenoaks.

Dozydog, thank you for your recollections. Just to correct you a little.... it was my much loved and respected uncle Fred Ludlow who for decades was the trainer at St.Mary's ABC. My uncle Barry lived in Weeds Wood. Alec was my father, we left Chatham in 1963 making our way to Sevenoaks via St.Pauls Cray but as you say, he maintained his links with the Theatre Royal in Chatham. His father (also named Alec!) worked there during the pre and post war period.

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 17:59:45 »
Hi Alec............I wonder if the Mr Jones the Welsh sadist you mention from your school days was the same Peter Jones who was at St Margarets primary in  the street of the same name in Rochester back in the 1950s early 60s?

Could well have been the same bloke Alan! Do I also remember he had a scruffy moustache and halitosis also? Hahaha!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 17:54:44 »
Alec enjoyed your memories of our local places ,I'm a Rochester Girl through and through have watched for years the changing places around me and sadly miss the good old haunts we used as children , I cant ever imagine what it must be like to live anywhere else and in fact when asked where I have been by a recent friend who had just come back from holidaying abroad I was only able to say the only Islands I had visited where the Isle of Grain and Isle of Sheppey to which they were amazed although it has never bothered me before but I hope to at least once leave these shores before my number is up. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.

Roseann,

This thread of mine is way more than 5 years old now and I'm astonished to find a little collection of 2019 replies. Thank you for yours.

I have travelled widely, Anchorage in Alaska, Tokyo, Melbourne, USA and many European countries. I even lived in France for three years. I can tell you though that the more I travelled the more I realised that people are pretty much the same everywhere. We all have our hope and aspirations but its friends and family that are most important. Part of me wishes that I had never stepped out of Kent. Its home.

All the best.

Alec.

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines