News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.  (Read 16774 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
Re: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2019, 18:13:54 »
Hi Alec,
Although slightly younger than you, pretty much academic though at our ages I guess! I too went to Luton School and can well remember Mr Jones, who by my recollection won WW2 on his own and lived at the top of Magpie Hall Road .I particularly remember his fondness for caning miscreants [me] on the hand with disturbing regularity. Mr Sterns was, in my recollection, a gentleman of the old school who rode a motorbike [and sidecar?] which, on occasion, we boys were permitted to kick-start for him. Happy days indeed and I too went to the Match School.

Chas, Mr Stearn was indeed a fine and respected gentleman and teacher. The memory grows dim now but his motorbike was a BSA Bantam although I don't remember it having a side car. Maybe you are right!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2019, 18:10:09 »
Hi Alec,
................I used to frequent St Mary's boxing Club in Luton where Barry Ludlow taught us and I was also involved with the Theatre Royal, Chatham alongside Alec Ludlow who was formerly of Chatham but at that time resided in Riverhead by Sevenoaks.

Dozydog, thank you for your recollections. Just to correct you a little.... it was my much loved and respected uncle Fred Ludlow who for decades was the trainer at St.Mary's ABC. My uncle Barry lived in Weeds Wood. Alec was my father, we left Chatham in 1963 making our way to Sevenoaks via St.Pauls Cray but as you say, he maintained his links with the Theatre Royal in Chatham. His father (also named Alec!) worked there during the pre and post war period.

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2019, 17:59:45 »
Hi Alec............I wonder if the Mr Jones the Welsh sadist you mention from your school days was the same Peter Jones who was at St Margarets primary in  the street of the same name in Rochester back in the 1950s early 60s?

Could well have been the same bloke Alan! Do I also remember he had a scruffy moustache and halitosis also? Hahaha!

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2019, 17:54:44 »
Alec enjoyed your memories of our local places ,I'm a Rochester Girl through and through have watched for years the changing places around me and sadly miss the good old haunts we used as children , I cant ever imagine what it must be like to live anywhere else and in fact when asked where I have been by a recent friend who had just come back from holidaying abroad I was only able to say the only Islands I had visited where the Isle of Grain and Isle of Sheppey to which they were amazed although it has never bothered me before but I hope to at least once leave these shores before my number is up. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.

Roseann,

This thread of mine is way more than 5 years old now and I'm astonished to find a little collection of 2019 replies. Thank you for yours.

I have travelled widely, Anchorage in Alaska, Tokyo, Melbourne, USA and many European countries. I even lived in France for three years. I can tell you though that the more I travelled the more I realised that people are pretty much the same everywhere. We all have our hope and aspirations but its friends and family that are most important. Part of me wishes that I had never stepped out of Kent. Its home.

All the best.

Alec.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 13:09:27 »
Bilgerat,

Also off-topic, but do we know yet who was responsible for the cause of the forum "modifications" that precipitated this?

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 263
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 09:36:57 »
Hi Alec,
Kyn, Bless her started this forum out of her own good wishes and hardwork, Passing her driving test and other battles in life she persereved, I personally 
loved Guess the Place and Drinking Estabishments and Hotels
Kyn  to my knowledge asked for some help in running the site (adim)  to no avail.
Last October I received an e-mail from some cyber idiot from the eastern block about this site (deleted without opening)  and that seemed to end this site as we knew it.
So if there is some computer whizard out there that can pm Kyn with help , hopefully this site can return to normal.
Good Luck. (from a (73.5 year old)

Hi Redge,

This is off-topic, so I'll keep it short. Kyn has got a lot of personal stuff going on right now and doesn't have the time or the inclination for the KHF. Until something changes, we're just going to have to bear with her. She knows there are people out here with the time and skills to help out and hopefully, the KHF will be back to it's former glory before too long.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 08:12:14 »
Such an interesting story and the kind of post that this one great forum would get, shame it's now been run down.
It's sadly missed
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline redge

• Appreciation 12
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 18:50:28 »
Hi Alec,
Kyn, Bless her started this forum out of her own good wishes and hardwork, Passing her driving test and other battles in life she persereved, I personally 
loved Guess the Place and Drinking Estabishments and Hotels
Kyn  to my knowledge asked for some help in running the site (adim)  to no avail.
Last October I received an e-mail from some cyber idiot from the eastern block about this site (deleted without opening)  and that seemed to end this site as we knew it.
So if there is some computer whizard out there that can pm Kyn with help , hopefully this site can return to normal.
Good Luck. (from a (73.5 year old)
redge

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 10:20:21 »
The post on here were always so interesting and I can understand how Kyn would want and need to retire from running the forum just a shame she never lets others take over. So so sad to see such an interesting forum run down and well ended
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 10:31:25 »
I think you're right pr1uk. Many on here remember Jack Marchant a Maths teacher at Troy Town who caned for anything he could think of. He used to blow his whistle out of a top floor window of the school and woe betide the last one out. You were for it.
He then used to send his victim over to the corner shop with a threepenny bit and tell you to ask the shop keeper for his whippiest cane. That old bastard used to take great delight in playing Jack's game and would open the cupboard and try out a few of his bamboo canes... then take the threepence and send you back to school.
Nearly always it was at least 3 strokes on the hand you didn't write with.
Timmy Hoare and myself got caught talking one day during his Maths lesson and he belted both of us. I heard that Timmys dad went down and bashed him but I'm not sure if that was true.
Complete sadist who would never be allowed near a school these days.
Enjoy what we have left of KHF, absolute shame it's no longer a really functioning site but if Kyn has personal problems I can understand why she hasn't got time but wish her and her family well for the future.
AlanH.

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 07:16:58 »
I particularly remember his fondness for caning miscreants [me] on the hand with disturbing regularity.

When you get older I think myself and probably others back in the days some caning was done because of their own perversion, at Highfields we had Mr Belton the head who would patrol the school all day looking for boys to send to his office for caning. A true believer in discipline no as I got older I realised he was a sick pervert who got his highs caning boys on the hand.

Sorry for going off subject and welcome to Alex sadly this forum as since stopped due to no one being able to give their time and willingness to run it.
-Peter

Offline Chas

• Appreciation 5
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:06 »
Hi Alec,
Although slightly younger than you, pretty much academic though at our ages I guess! I too went to Luton School and can well remember Mr Jones, who by my recollection won WW2 on his own and lived at the top of Magpie Hall Road .I particularly remember his fondness for caning miscreants [me] on the hand with disturbing regularity. Mr Sterns was, in my recollection, a gentleman of the old school who rode a motorbike [and sidecar?] which, on occasion, we boys were permitted to kick-start for him. Happy days indeed and I too went to the Match School.

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 1
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2019, 15:07:00 »
Hi Alec,

Welcome to KHF.
I grew up in Wayfield Rd ... just below Eden Avenue, we moved there in 1957 and we were there until the mid 1970's.
I went to Wayfield Infants and remember Mrs Goad. I used to frequent St Mary's boxing Club in Luton where Barry Ludlow taught us and I was also involved with the Theatre Royal, Chatham alongside Alec Ludlow who was formerly of Chatham but at that time resided in Riverhead by Sevenoaks.
Alec was one of the nicest (and funniest) men that I have ever known. It was lovely reading your post which invoked a few memories.
P.S - It was the 140 and the 141 bus that went to Burma Way

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 22
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 10:43:17 »
Hi Alec. Nice to read your story and I admit to being a bit late doing that. I wonder if the Mr Jones the Welsh sadist you mention from your school days was the same Peter Jones who was at St Margarets primary in  the street of the same name in Rochester back in the 1950s early 60s?
Hit me over the head once with the edge of a wooden foot rule for being sarcastic although I didn't know what that was then. Of course he wasn't the only one to chastise me over the years but that's another story. :)
AlanH.

Offline Roseann

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 23:01:25 »
Alec enjoyed your memories of our local places ,I'm a Rochester Girl through and through have watched for years the changing places around me and sadly miss the good old haunts we used as children , I cant ever imagine what it must be like to live anywhere else and in fact when asked where I have been by a recent friend who had just come back from holidaying abroad I was only able to say the only Islands I had visited where the Isle of Grain and Isle of Sheppey to which they were amazed although it has never bothered me before but I hope to at least once leave these shores before my number is up. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay here.
Hope x

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines