News: In June 1557 Edmund Allin, his wife and five others were burnt at the stake, where Drakes pub now stands in Fairmeadow, Maidstone, for refusing to accept Catholicism.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.  (Read 6962 times)

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
Re: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2018, 21:55:38 »
Alec,

Thanks for responding and I hope your health is improving.

Demolition of the gas holders has been underway for a couple of weeks now and the (hopefully) appended photo shows Holder No.4 this afternoon, your former home is just visible on the right.

Regards
DGM

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 19:41:27 »
DGM,

Apologies for a late reply but major health issues have prevented me from being on the forum of late.

Yes, you are correct about Cramptons Road!

Thanks for the update about the gas holders. It'll be strange seeing the place without them.

Alec.

Offline DGM

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2018, 20:56:53 »
Hello Alec,

I'm afraid I have very slowly been working my way through all the interesting threads and have only just reached this one.  Would your home in Sevenoaks have been the brick built detached house in the corner of the gasworks site in Cramptons Road ?  My family moved to The Moor Road in 1962 and I have a very vague recollection of the house under construction, I was only four at the time !  If this was your home the view is about to change as the two gas holders are about to be dismantled.

Kind regards
DGM

Offline Sentinel S4

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 167
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 09:36:49 »
Hi, it is strange that we remember things like the railway station order. For me, catching the 16:12 at Canterbury West it was , "Chartham, Chilham, Wye, Ashford, Charing, Lenham, Harrietsham, Hollingbourne, Bearsted, Maidstone East, Bromley South and London Victoria."... Chislet has been closed for many years but as there are plans afoot to build around 2,000 houses at Hersden, Network Rail have given assurance that the Halt will be re-instated.

Welcome Home.

Sentinel S4.
A day without learning something is a day lost and my brain is hungry. Feed me please.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 17:06:27 »
Hi Oldbob

Welcome to KHF, I lived at No 1 which has now been demolished and a Doctors surgery in its place.

Offline Oldbob

• Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 15:48:02 »
Hi Invicta Alec and Lutonman

I too lived in Bader Crescent from 1951 to 1967 at and attended Rochester Mathematical School. To answer a couple of questions. Yes the parade of shops on Wayfield Road is still there and the two cars referred to stood outside number 3 and 6. An occupier of number 3 was a talented snooker player and even appeared on black and white TV playing none other than the legendary Joe Davis. Sad to say, he lost.

Offline oobydooby

• Appreciation 45
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 16:42:40 »
Hi Alec, I guess like you I too am from Kent, having started in Rainham then Gillingham to Southborough and Manston.  If you peruse my story there are a few more places yet to be revealed; Herne Bay, Dover and Folkestone in turn followed by a brief return to Gillingham before moving away from Kent altogether.

oobydooby.
2014 A Hayes

Astronomers always look into the past.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 23:59:35 »
Hi Alec,

You've got four years on me so you probably left as I was starting. Bus was definitely 141, and we didn't know anyone that had a car either!

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 20:00:38 »
Good to hear we have some connections

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 19:50:38 »
Hi and Welcome Alec,
I too was born in Bader Crescent on the Wayfield estate

Lutonman, I've sent you a PM.

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 19:39:01 »
Hi Alec,

I too, grew up on Wayfield Estate in the 1950's (Burma Way) and can definitely remember Miss Goad!

Hi Smiffy,

Thanks for your reply. Being born in August 1950, I probably started at the school in either May or September latest in 1955. Maybe we were classmates?

While Burma Way meant home to you, to me it was the name on the bus destination board! There were 14 houses on Bader Crescent but only two of those had a car parked outside and one of them was a three wheeled invalid carriage (as they were called then). No car for us and I can remember many a time standing outside the Regent cinema with mum, laden down with shopping waiting for the bus home. Checking other threads here on the transport section, it seems that Maidstone and District alternated the service. (Was it numbered 141?). A Burma Way bus was followed by a Wagon at Hale bus throughout the day.
To this day I can remember the anguished cries from my mum as the bus approached "Oh no. Its a Wagon!" as we stood there patiently waiting in the rain, holding paper carrier bags with string handles, hoping the bottoms didn't fall out of them as they got more and more soggy.

I was always glad to see "Burma Way" on the front of the bus. Happy days eh?

Alec.

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 19:13:40 »
Hi and Welcome Alec,
I too was born in Bader Crescent on the Wayfield estate, I know the Gas Holder at Sevenoaks Way, I'll be there in the morning! I knew two other Ludlow's, another Alex who worked at the time I knew him at Sevenoaks and his brother Fred at Gillingham.

Hope you enjoy your time on the forum.

Offline smiffy

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 70
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 15:58:44 »
Hi Alec,

I too, grew up on Wayfield Estate in the 1950's (Burma Way) and can definitely remember Miss Goad!

Offline ann

• Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 10:35:57 »
Welcome Invicta Alec.  Enjoyed reading your reminiscences.

Offline Rochester-bred

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 07:49:57 »
Welcome Invicta Alec, I`m sure there are some things that have stayed the same and either way I hope you will enjoy your finding out what has changed here on the forum  :)
***I am still the child within***

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines