News: Gypsy tart originated from the Isle of Sheppey
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Stewie

• Appreciation 16
Re: My name is Alec. I'm a Kent lad.
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 15:21:27 »
I too miss my daily drop in the KHF to see if any new or interesting topics had been created / added to. I have some great memories of the forum including attending several of the meet ups at forts Luton, Horstead and Amhurst and the talk by 'Leofwaine'  (I think) on early Anglo Saxons in Kent and even some of the working parties to Forts Horstead and Luton.

I can remember the thorough and in depth analysis of problems by the late 'peterchall' and particularly in the 'runaway lorry in Chatham' and the 'Slip coach' thread there was a gentleman with a well adjusted mind. 'Walking with Angels' challenged us with their mysterious photos in the tunnels of Fort Amhurst and 'Bilgerat' with his very interesting 'cradle to grave' stories of Chatham built warships.

Although there was usually something interting to read on the forum, my favourite threads over the years were the 'Guess the place' though latterly I chose  not to compete, the 'Faversham Creek Road branch line' and the absorbing 'Slip coach' thread which rumbled on for some time and in the end came to some very interesting conclusions as to slip coach operations at Herne Hill, Chatham & Faversham.

I am not sure if the forum is now no more or merely mothballed, but what I would say is that there is a tremendous amount of 'good quality' information contained on this website both researched and anecdotal and it wold be a terrible loss for this collective wisdom to be lost to later local historians.

Many thanks to Kyn and god bless for the future, for creating something that was truly loved by its contributors, not many people will create something of this magnitude in their own lifetime it is a credit to her.

That's all from now, perhaps we will meet once again in the future on a revamped KHF but if not I am glad to have had the opportunity to have participated with you all.

Stewie

Offline lutonman1

• Appreciation 2
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2019, 19:00:07 »
I have noticed  a  ` REPLY ` has been added. Thank you.
I have learnt of your loss, Kyn. May I offer my condolences, as a fairly new --- Luton Born lad..
MoK

Offline Lutonman

• Appreciation 42
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2019, 18:19:21 »
Hi Filmer01,
I am still keeping a watch on the forum but agree with what you say sad as it is. Things don't look good for the future.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 11
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2019, 11:50:22 »
I have also been keeping watch in the hope that the Forum will be revived. Some of us who had been helping with some minor "housework" for the Forum did offer to take on its running, either temporarily or completely. I have sent a couple of PMs to Kyn with such offers, and I know others have also done so.  Kyn's last message that she had temporarily reopened the Forum infers that she did not mean for its functionality to be effectively disabled. The problem for us is that Kyn is not responding at all, and without her assistance and co-operation no rescue will be possible.

So unless someone has a means to contact Kyn we can only watch and wait, and the longer this limbo continues the more members will be lost.

I regularily check the activity counter at the end of the menus, and am amazed that at 7am on a weekday there can be as many as 100 guests, so it is clearly a popular source, but without fresh posts and new members it will slowly fade. I would like to prevent that, but have no means to do so without Kyn's help and permission.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2019, 00:36:45 »
Hi Pr1uk,yes time to wake up and smell the coffe,the fourum is dead,shuffled of this mortal coil,gone,defunct,time to deleat the link.
By' all you guys and gals thanks for your company along the way ,been some good blogs,and some rubbishy ons,all the best to Kyn and family hope things improve for our lady,thanks to all those who have PM me over the years,we lost some good friends along the way,we gained some as well.time to move on.
May god bless you all ,each and every one,
Signals99 signing off.

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 09:30:42 »
I still check in most days in the hope Kyn or a trusted competent member has revived the site. No such thing yet but I live in hopes.
AlanH.

Offline smiler

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 68
  • Far better to be screwed up than screwed down
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2019, 11:04:01 »
Sorry to hear you say that pr1uk. I, like I'm sure many others live in hope the forum will continue and definitely not be deleting

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2019, 09:22:49 »
The forum is now dead not seen any new posts apart from my whinging since last year and no new subjects still it was great while it lasted and I doubt if any other forum can or will replace it. Time for me to stop whinging and delete the once used everyday link
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline pr1uk

• Appreciation 8
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:36 »
This thread keeps popping up yet replies are never added, what a great forum that does not deserve to die like this
To be contented in life you must learn the difference between what you want and what you need
-Peter

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 19:10:59 »
Bilgerat ,that's a very generous offer,thank you,as you so correctly put it lets hope things improve for  Kyn in the not to distant future
I will look in on the fourum from time to time,but just in case I miss out  ,in my abcense.i will wish you all a
Long life and a happy one ,be good ,
Bilge rat,fair winds and following seas my friend .
Signals99

Offline Bilgerat

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 265
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 16:58:23 »
Let's give Kyn some time and space to decide what she would like to do with the forum. It's only a few weeks since she had a bereavement and still has personal problems. I'm sure most if not all of us know how losing someone close has all sorts of affects and may take a good while to come to terms with. I'm sure we will find out at some point whether it will continue. I hope it does .

Just to echo Lyn's point, I'm aware that Kyn has just had a bereavement in the family, something that's been coming for a while, but tough to deal with nevertheless. I'm more than happy to give her the time and space to deal with it in her own way. I've also offered to take over the Forum (temporarily or otherwise) as I have the time and skills to do it, but lets just bear with her and let her come to a decision in her own time.
"I did not say that the French will not come, I said they will not come by sea" - Lord St Vincent

Offline Lyn L

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 85
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2019, 15:01:28 »
Let's give Kyn some time and space to decide what she would like to do with the forum. It's only a few weeks since she had a bereavement and still has personal problems. I'm sure most if not all of us know how losing someone close has all sorts of affects and may take a good while to come to terms with. I'm sure we will find out at some point whether it will continue. I hope it does .
Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life tryi

Offline AlanH

• Appreciation 27
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2019, 09:20:03 »
I'll still check in hoping things have changed, but if not and I don't get the chance again, farewell to all especially Kyn. Here's hoping for long life and happiness for all.
AlanH.

Offline Signals99

• Appreciation 37
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2019, 01:35:41 »
Well,there you are a crossection of answers,all good points of view,sorry Herb collector but I can't subscribe to the"leave it alone and maybe it will get better" view.Kyn, God bless her,has created a wonderful thing ,that we have all enjoyed over the years,,remember the landing craft in Chatham thing?
I personally will be for ever grateful for the help I received from the members on locating my lost brothers grave in Sheppy,plus all the information I wanted.
Don't want to see our beloved fourum just fade away,let's give it the send of it deserves.dont want to watch it disappear into the mist of time.i have given much thought to this,please no one get offended ,I think of you all as friends with whom I have spent many happy times and threads.
It would be fair and proper if Kyn gave us her opinion,but it appears the lady can't be contacted?
Shuley that alone indicates the way she would want it ti go.

Offline DaveTheTrain

• Appreciation 19
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 21:23:16 »
It is a great pity that KHF is more or less defunct.   I used to check in most days, and there was, most days something of interest.  If KHF rises again it would be great, if not it has been a great forum... and just two last questions, who was the eventual winner of guess the.place, and why did that landing craft fall off of the trailer in Railway street, Chatham.
DTT

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines