Kent History Forum

News:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Charabanc outing  (Read 3829 times)

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
Re: Charabanc outing
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2014, 11:34:30 »
Just a quick follow up, I contacted a couple of fellow "omnibusogist" and one came back with this, confirming lutonlads thoughts on the driver in his splendid white coat....

Hi Mike

Thanks for recent email and chara photo.

It could well be a Pilcher's chara which were indeed lined out, as were their
early Regal/Duple coaches, see Malcolm John's Story of Pilcher's Coaches.

The driver may well be William E Sands who definitely worked for them. He later
became a publican and was landlord of The New Inn, 291 Luton Road. He commenced
PSV operations in March 1951 then later took over The Constitution Castle 5/6
Constitution Hill (opposite The Elephant and Castle). His PSV operations ceased
in July 1965 .

Offline Dozydog

• Appreciation 0
    • Theatre Royal, Chatham
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 08:12:39 »
Lovely photo, do you know what pub outing it was ?

Thanks for posting

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:51 »
Still no bigger - so if anyone wants the full size image (file too large for the forum) just PM me with your email and I will copy it over.
Illegitimus nil carborundum

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:55:14 »
Right - try again....

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 16:51:57 »
For whatever reason the photo didn't upload normally, so you can't enlarge it - so I'll try again. See if anyone else can be identified.

There is a wide range of styles of dress/hats etc - what I take to be a mix of social standing reflected in the cost of clothes?

Still not loading as a jpg - I'll try again from the original scan. It's all witchcraft I tell you.....

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline lutonlad

• Appreciation 10
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 21:10:31 »
Hi , I think the driver in the white coat was Bill Sands.He used to drive for Pilchers Coaches in Luton, he the went on to be the landlord of the Constitution Castle pub, where he also ran and owned a coach from the pub for day trips.
If it cant be mended with a hammer, it must be an electrical fault, bash it anyway.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 14:52:42 »
Many thanks Scoop, I had found the roads, but could not find a map with the road names on it.

I will PM mikeb to arrange a much larger picture - I had to resize it as the forum only likes little piccies.

Offline scoop

• Appreciation 47
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:28:08 »
Here it is:

Offline mikeb

• Appreciation 25
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:08 »
Excellent photo, thanks for sharing. Would it be possible to post a larger copy? My grandparents and indeed my father lived in Oliver Street during the 1920's and it is quite possible Grandad B is in the photo, he was a "Foresters" man!

It always amused me that the next street along was Stanley Road = Oliver Hardy & Stan(ley) Laurel.

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 19:21:50 »
Thanks Grandarog - It looks like it`s the Foresters Arms, corner of Oliver Street and Henry Street, listed as 82 Henry Street on the dead pubs site.

The 1901 census goes from Oliver Street, only a short road - another relative was living there at 18 then - straight into Henry Street at number 38 where there is a beer seller - but it gives no other detail. 82 also shows as a beerhouse, kept by an Alfred Randall which is the right surname from the dead pubs site.

It seems quite likely that Filmer would be there, the family had a woodyard opposite the Elephant & Castle pub at the bottom of Castle Road, 152 Luton Road, and he and his wife ran a greengrocers at 168 on the corner of Leonard Road. So just round the corner - but I have yet to find Oliver Street on any maps.

Offline grandarog

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 95
  • RAF Halton 1957-1960
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 19:01:14 »
The only mention of a Pub and Oliver Street is of The Foresters Arms, 82 Henry Street, Chatham (refered to as Oliver Street on some old census), so could be on the corner.

Offline conan

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 64
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 18:55:24 »
I can`t find an Oliver Street But this is information on Budden and Biggs a Strood brewery so the assumption is that it's somewhere in the Medway area. Maybe the street is named after Dickens's Oliver Twist :)

https://medwaypubsandbreweries.wordpress.com/2014/08/30/budden-and-biggs-brewery-strood/
To remain ignorant of what happened before you were born is to remain a child......Cicero

Offline filmer01

• Appreciation 6
Charabanc outing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 16:58:47 »
The picture includes my Grandfather, Filmer Smitherman, who was a long term resident of Luton Road & Castle Road in Chatham.

The street name is clearly Oliver Street  - so I presume the pub on the corner was the source of the outing - Filmer was not known as a star member of the Temperance Clubs (I like to keep up the family tradition...  :))

Where was it? The pub appears to be ????? Arms - purveyors of "Budden & Biggs Body Building Beverages" according to the sign.

Any guesses as to date? 1920s?

BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.10 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines